Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Sounds like the headlamp door relays have a wire swapped somewhere. Someone posted a schematic just days ago in this forum.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
You may be right. It's hard to say without seeing a schematic of how you have it wired up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The stock system requires using the ground path through the headlamps to allow the doors to close (not required for them to open). Depending on the new relay harness you are using for the lamps it may be breaking that ground when you turn off the lights. Do you have a drawing of the new harness that you can post? I think there is a way to do this if the ground path is being broken by the new harness but, it requires modifying the stock system to add another relay and create the ground path for the closing circuit.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The stock system requires using the ground path through the headlamps to allow the doors to close (not required for them to open). Depending on the new relay harness you are using for the lamps it may be breaking that ground when you turn off the lights. Do you have a drawing of the new harness that you can post? I think there is a way to do this if the ground path is being broken by the new harness but, it requires modifying the stock system to add another relay and create the ground path for the closing circuit.

It is a stock RS harness,, I tried breaking the lt green & tan wires to the bulbs with 2 relays like Madd Elec shows. I've been trying to come up with a way for the RS set up. Figured I was missing something,, maybe a 3rd relay or diode to make ground connection ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think this is one way to make the modification. By adding a relay that changes the ground path for relays 2 and 3 when the headlight switch is off should allow the doors to close when the ACC is hot and headlights are off.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Did you disconnect the wire that went from the R1 coil to the R2 and R3 coils in the original setup? There should be no voltage on the new relay coil from the ACC line that would hold it closed per my drawing. I used the diagram from the RS wiring manual. Unless there is another path that is not shown in the manual the new relay coil should not be connected to the ACC line. I'm sorry I do not have my car out of storage yet to try this on my own.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No i didn't cut r1 wire, wanted to make sure it would work before cutting harness up. Thought I was getting voltage thru the acc line after turning the headlight switch off. After looking over diagram again, it may be a feed back thru the r2 & r3 coils. I'll try again tomorrow by cutting line.

Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mdevereaux, thanks for this schmatic!
I ended up using the matrix h4 upgrade harness from summit, and had the same problem: doors would not close. The first time I wired it up it didn't work because I thought the new relay in your schmatic was shown energized. After changing it up, it worked great.
The only thing I can add is that I had to cross it back and forth with the actual schematic to get the wire colors to trace the wires. The wire that I had to cut and put in the new relay was light blue.
Thanks again,
67Ruckus

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can you explain what wires need to be removed from the existing relays r1,r2 and r3 for the rs head lights to work correctly after installing the add relay?
Thanks Rick

1 - 20 of 20 Posts