Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just installed an AC Delete Cover that is made out of fiberglass and new headders. I need some advice whether my new ceramic coated headders are to close to the AC Delete Cover which may be a fire hazard. The clearance is only about a 1/4" and the old headders are about 6/16" from the AC Delete Cover. Check out my pics at

http://www.user.dccnet.com/drylandmarine/headder_clearance.htm

I look forward to your comments.........has anyone else experienced this from acdelete.com manufacturing...my car is a 1967 RS Camaro with a 350. Does anyone know if Hooker Headders fit differently (does the No. 8 exhaust pipe go towards the front of the car?)

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I don't think the fiberglass will burn but the paint may or may not blister. Really don't know what to say other then you might want to wrap the exhaust in the area (which may scrub your header warranty) or attach thermal tape to the AC housing. You could cut the AC housing and trough it for clearance or move the engine forward another 1/8" or so, if possible. I would just keep a close eye on the situation and make the modifications if necessary.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought new headders and took a pic and then put my old ones on to see what clearance they had. Not much difference...its the AC Delete that I purchased which is made of fibreglass that concerns me... I haven't fired up my new rebuilt 350 yet which is supose to push 375 hp to 400hp

·
Registered
601 Posts
thats kinda close for fiberglass to header clearance i think it will burn maybe some heat tape will do but not sure it would stop the heat from hitting the box. hate to see you going down road and than fire!!!!!.

·
Registered
540 Posts
just an idea mabe make a small metal plat mabe aluminum put it half the distance between the two stand it of the fiberglass with some spacers as the metal got warm the air could circulate behind it to cool it off. I don't know how good you are at making things but you could polish it out and make it look pretty good.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A friend emailed this regarding Flotech Headders Part #: 31100 they fit a V8, 5L, Gas, Carburetor, 4 Barrel - Without Air Conditioning, Automatic Transmission, Manual Transmission.

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
I would install a piece of aluminum, reflective tape on there. (sticky tinfoil)

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
I agree with TJ and the tape idea and with Ron. If you've not compared ceramic coated headers on the same engine with older painted ones, well, it's a revelation. They say the temp drops 200 degrees. I agree. Mine's dropped at least that much. You'll be fine.

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
Thermo-tec, available from Summit and perhaps Jegs, sells self stick stuff that is very effective. I think they claim it reflects 9x% of the heat. I have it on my floor underneath where my x-pipe passes close to my painted floor with good results.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts