Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI all, Have been away for a while but I am back to getting the motor back in the car. Anyway I am running into a header clearance issue with my hooker headers and #3 plug on my Dart Pro 1's. I Bashed the header as far as I feel comfortable going (Probably too much)...I switched to an accel "shorty plug" (Which are not much shorter than a regular plug)..With 2 gaskets I still need 1/16 th of an inch. I have Taylor High temp Boots but They are squished against the header...I guess is there any "OLD school" tricks to shorten a plug...??? (I am just trying to get a piece of High Temp wrap in there for added protection.)

If I can't get the 1/16 th I have to get new headers and probably have my exhaust re-done.....

Chris

·
Registered
238 Posts
I had the same problem with angle pluged heads. I fixed it by cutting the header primary tube at the gasket flange and welding in a short piece of exhaust pipe. You can space it out as far as you need. May have to heat the tube to get it to bend out enough to put the new piece in. I hope you have black headers and you can just repaint them....

·
3,424 Posts
Chris,
Before you go too far, make sure the heads are correctly machined where the plug goes in :( I have seen at least 2 sets of the Pro 1's where they did not machine the spark plug seat deep enough. You should be able to pull the plug and look at the thread length with a flashlight, I bet the plugs are not going into the head far enough by about 1/4". We were lucky enough to catch both sets before they were installed on the engine because we were cc'ng them. I hope I am wrong, but that sure is what it sounds like. We called Dart both times and told them about the problem. They repaired both sets of heads.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi There...Thanks for the advice..checked machining and looks ok...I ended up cutting my new coated headers at the flange ;). Added a 3/8 inch piece of pipe and bent the whole thing out...welded er up and wrapped that pipe...would never know...thanks for the great idea!!!!!!!!

Chris

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
i have dart pro 1s with angle plugs. the hookers were impossible to use. they caught my msd wire boots on fire. the #3 tube is a BITCH! so i switched to thorly tri y headers and that solved the problem.

accel makes the correct spark plug 5/8 gasket seat 3/4 reach. i got mine from summit part number 0416-s

1 - 5 of 5 Posts