Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a car that is going to be driven less than 2500 miles a year, stored indoors, what is the best "bang for the buck" header? It seems like there are many options; 1200 degree paint on mild steel, powder coated, stainless steel, mild steel ceramic coated, stainless ceramic coated, did I leave anything out? I ask because I'm ready to push the button on a choice. Will be running a mild small block with AOD.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Mileage doesn't always matter, it's cylinder temps, timing, how hard you run the car.
Most paint will burn off on the initial start-up and if not then, it usually doesn't last long.

Check out Hedman Hedders Elite series they are "thermal" coated which I'm pretty sure is a ceramic coating, they are pretty inexpensive and fit very well. Not sure if they'll work with Power steering or A/C.
Stainless is expensive but would look good under the hood of a show car, definitely don't want to run bare steel headers.

I've found if you buy a set of non coated headers, it's about $300.00 to have them coated in ceramic, so you'd pay more for the coating than you did for the headers.

Highly recommend ceramic, lasts a looong time, usually doesn't rust, takes the heat, keeps it in, looks good etc..

·
Banned
3,193 Posts
do you have to drop the gas tank to replace the sending unit?
You want to ceramic coat your sending unit ? :beers:

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
If you are going to get ceramic coated headers I would buy the standard mild steel version of the header that you want and test fit first. I have never owned a set of headers that did not need to be "massaged, adjusted, clearanced, etc." After you test fit and adjust then send them out for ceramic coating. I can only imagine how frustrating it would be to whack your new headers with the slick expensive coating with a hammer to clear PS/AC/UCA...

·
Banned
3,193 Posts
As long as you are buying 1-5/8 tube headers by Hedman I have never had to ding them for clearance.
And they are on sale at Summit; less than $300. I was surprised that the tubing is 14 gauge; most are 18.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HED-68278/

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
As long as you are buying 1-5/8 tube headers by Hedman I have never had to ding them for clearance.
And they are on sale at Summit; less than $300. I was surprised that the tubing is 14 gauge; most are 18.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HED-68278/
Those are the same ones I've run since 2005, still look good.
If you have to massage those headers you've got the wrong engine/frame stands, or some kind of different steering arrangement, or angle plug heads.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
If you are going to get ceramic coated headers I would buy the standard mild steel version of the header that you want and test fit first. I have never owned a set of headers that did not need to be "massaged, adjusted, clearanced, etc." After you test fit and adjust then send them out for ceramic coating. I can only imagine how frustrating it would be to whack your new headers with the slick expensive coating with a hammer to clear PS/AC/UCA...
Sage advice here. Nothing would make me more sick than having to grind my new ceramic coated headers!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts