Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
3,404 Posts
The trick is to send them back and make then send a set that fits. What good is having a set of headers that are supposed to increase flow, and then banging them up with a hammer and decreasing flow :(

Just my opinion,

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
while bill is right, but if you want to or have to adjust the header clearance. do what i did and just use a towel over the header and a hammer (not a hammer for nails with the grid pattern on it)

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Use a 1" iron bar and hammer that bar into the header to form a perfect detent. Don't use hammer directly against the header.
This needs to be done out of the car on your driveway or something.

·
Registered
309 Posts
You can take the steering box off and shave the mounting area down a bit plus shave the corner of box where it is hitting header. Just don't shave the corner to much.:noway: You then can move the steering components down a bit. I have a Flamming River power steering box with Hooker headers, 2'' primary tubes. No dents, dings or scratches.:hurray:

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
smooth dings, dimples, etc work fine.
Ball peen hammer, bar stock, whatever is required.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
You must have the wrong "frame" mounts!

He absolutely does.
I asked earlier if he had a BBC in a 1st gen. This is exactly the problem I had.
I got the car with big headers already in it. The car originally came with a 327 and someone put this BBC in it but didn't change the frame mounts. So they had to dent the headers.

I bought the right frame mounts and put them in, now there is plenty of room between the steering box and the headers. My headers use to sit, literally a paper's width away from the p/s box. Now its about an inch or so away.

http://www.ss396.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=camaro6769&Product_Code=ACE-9412&Category_Code=

Thinking of replacing my headers on the drivers side because I don't like the dents in them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He absolutely does.
I asked earlier if he had a BBC in a 1st gen. This is exactly the problem I had.
I got the car with big headers already in it. The car originally came with a 327 and someone put this BBC in it but didn't change the frame mounts. So they had to dent the headers.

I bought the right frame mounts and put them in, now there is plenty of room between the steering box and the headers. My headers use to sit, literally a paper's width away from the p/s box. Now its about an inch or so away.

http://www.ss396.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=camaro6769&Product_Code=ACE-9412&Category_Code=

Thinking of replacing my headers on the drivers side because I don't like the dents in them.

Good point....

I have Hooker 2457 2" with Brodix heads it you think matters.

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
The BB frame mounts shift the BB over to the passenger side a bit for clearance. The manual trans crossmember is offset also to have the trans shifted over the same amount. I dont know about the automatics. I know you can get away with the SB crossmember with a poly transmount somehow, but I bought Ricks BB crossmember for a manual.

You need to change your frame mounts 1st like stated. If you have a SB heatercore you will have to address that clearance too cuase the BB heatercores inlet/outlets are located in the center of the core cover for clearance. My buddy didnt change his out just mashed them over a bit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts