Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1969 base model convertible with a 327 and auto trans. The exhaust manifolds look to be original and are in very back condition. I have never tackled any type of engine work and need some advice. I'm looking for suggestions for a replacement exhaust, manifold to tail pipe. I would like a little rumble. Any Suggestions?

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Based off of Team Camaro advice on my 69, 327ci. w/power steering, I decided to use the Dynatech 1-5/8" - 1 3/4" Stepped Header with 2.5" Reducer cones. Quality built, fit great with plenty of clearance. The deciding factor between the Thorley/Dynatech was the Dynatech flange design. I also had them Jet-Hot coated and installed new Flowmaster American Thunder SS Exhaust w/polished exhaust tips. For the most part I am pleased with the outcome. The "H" pipe Flowmaster design did create a few challenges however the American Thunders sound great!

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
A few more pictures.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the input, very helpful. I checked out the hedman 68670 and went to a local shop to get their .02. They suggested the 66609 shorty. Any thoughts on this?

·
Premium Member
1,131 Posts
Do a quick search on Dynatech for my posting on these. I installed these on my 302 with power steering and they fit fine. I'd buy these again. The ball and socket mount at the connection between the collector and the rest of the exhause is fool proof and won't leak regardless of how much out of allignment the collector is from the exhaust pipes. I wouldn't buy headers with conventional 3-bolt collector connectors with the better alternative of the ball/socket option.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
thanks for the input, very helpful. I checked out the hedman 68670 and went to a local shop to get their .02. They suggested the 66609 shorty. Any thoughts on this?
Shorty headers give the most ground clearance. Sounds good to me but the full length headers are easier to hook up to the dynomax system. And I've never had ground-clearance problems with hedmans.

You may also need to use a modified X-brace to clear the exhaust pipes:

Amazon.com: Hotchkis 1404 Convertible X Brace Crossmember Support for Camaro 67-69/Firebird: Automotive

1 - 7 of 7 Posts