Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys I'm probably asking something most of you don't want. I would like a recommendation of a exhaust system which is quite but still has good flow and power. Right now I have a stock 2 in dual system. Would it be OK to just add the headers and leave the system stock. Also it looks like the Hooker Super Comp is the best choice for my 67 Convertable. Does anyone know what the difference between the Hooker Comp and Super Comp is. BTW any other header recommendations would be welcome.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Going off of a sometimes feeble memory... I think the Hooker super comps are just the next level up in headers, meaning they went through a little more trouble making sure each tube was closer to the same length (read slightly better performance, more of a pain in the butt fitting under the hood and reaching spark plugs), and if I'm not mistaken the wall thickness may be a little thinner. I have the comps which are working fine, just one plug is a little tougher to reach. Used a home made dual exhaust setup with stock type mufflers.

------------------
Matt
http://camarotech1.com
Camaro Tech 1st Generation

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have had Hooker Super Comps in the past. They performed and fit very well, but my recent project a 69' Camaro 396 BB with power steering. The #5 cylinder exhaust tube needed to be modified in order to clear the pressure line(also modified)to the power steering box. So if you are running a Big Block just be aware of this problem. Also the other problem I ran into was the exhaust flange needed to be ground down to clear the ARP head bolts.These head bolts have an extra thick washer which raises the bolt head to close to the exhaust flange. Good Luck!

------------------
Mike Frame off Restoration
http://www.webwowser.com/cmrib/ribs

[This message has been edited by cmrib (edited 09-04-2000).]

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm running Hooker Comp headers and they fit great in my '68 (w/327). I then ordered a flowmaster 2" dual exhaust from Summit for $260. Fit perfect, factory location of tips and sound great. Not too loud but loud enough to turn heads. If $$ allows, go with the ceramic coating option when buying your headers. They stay looking better, longer than paint.

------------------
To see my car
www.angelfire.com/mo2/firedog122

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Summit Racing Equipment has a 2-1/4" header to tailpipe setup which uses Borla mandrel bent pipes and mufflers. They also have a specific part # for the convertible which are different due to the cross brace. You may want to look into that setup. I'm sure it's not cheap, but it will look new forever.

------------------
Jeff H - 93 Indy 500 Pace Car(supercharged), Hugger Orange 69 Z28 with JL8 brakes & crossram

·
Registered
170 Posts
I recently tried hedman shorty headers using a small block in a 68 with angle plug heads...did not work..called hooker, the super comps most all have 1 3/4 inch tubes, the comps have 1 5/8 ...if u are running angle plug heads...the super comps are the way to go..even with the larger tubes the fit is better...no interference with the plugs at all....no wires even close to touching

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just installed the Super Comps on my 68. They were the only ones I could find for my angle plug AFR heads. The left one was a pain to install, I had to unbolt the mount and roll the engine up to the right and drop the power steering box. They are a tight fit but look & sound great. They were 1-3/4.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info guys. Looks like I will probably go with he Hooker Comps. I don't really think I need 1 3/4 headers. For now I will probably stick with the stock dual exhaust and muffler. From everything I've read and seen on this sight, the major improvements come from headers first and the mufflers secondary. BTW anyone know how much it cost to get these Jet Hot coated and is it worth it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts