Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Camaro 1968, going along with a propane powered BPE 383 ci, T56, Eaton Posi 4.10:1, MCB Big Brakes
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, these are hedman 27500 gasket, round 1.38 " that i modified.

Attachments

·
Registered
Camaro 1968, going along with a propane powered BPE 383 ci, T56, Eaton Posi 4.10:1, MCB Big Brakes
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sent with my smart phone the pictures, let's continue on the computer. I chose this route of enlarging the gasket after positioning square 1,5 aluminum gaskets on the header and the matching surface is just poor... you see the black marks are the inside corners of the 1,5" gasket.
Using these tools makes for a good job!

I also read on internet (other muscle car forum) that Hedman is actually making the gasket (materials indeed) fel-pro is using...
I could have bought the Fel Pro 1444 but I guess it is similar to the Hedman one? Maybe not same quality ...
So I read that you can use on cheap gasket this product

Now I made one size to correct sizes, I don't know what is required to make sure I get no leaks... Should I buy and spray the Permatex 80697 product?

Thanks,
Marc

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Marc

Nothing wrong with "adjusting" gasket port size/shape to better match headers...but also the head port shape size also so it fits both.

I have never used or needed any type of additional sealer on header gaskets

FWIW one gasket maker I found, Remflex (actually BPE tech recommended them), makes several sizes and these gaskets are quite thick and seal very well. I used them on my stock 327 heads and Patriot headers as, like you, I was trying to find a gasket that fit both header & head port which were different shapes. One round and the other more square (slightly rectangle)

Remflex Exhaust Header / Manifold Gaskets

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My question is more about using or not using the copper spray on my Hedman gasket.Needed or not needed?

I am spending a lot of time and effort for gasket match hoping I don't get anymore leakage so now one side is done I'll check on the head ports, and then do the other side.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Marc

I personally have never needed or used and type of sealant, spray on copper or otherwise. With that said it won't hurt anything unless whatever gaskets you use state NOT to use anything.

Older iron heads where port surfave becomes pitted is where sealants really help

and as I noted earlier and Just1more just posted, RemFlex gaskets are known to solve stubborn header gasket leaks. They are quite thick and IIRC specifically state not to re-tighten after install. They have a big variety of port size/shapes

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys for your advices.
From what I read on chevelle forum about this gasket sealant is to reuse old gasket, and to get more sealing performance out of cheap gaskets.
Tonight I port matched the second gasket.
I see that using the cut blade after sanding, that the carbon material is peeling of course where the gasket has been sanded.
I don't want issues.
Remflex is USA only, again expensive solution for me living in Belgium.
My gasket are now port matched. I will then buy this spray gasket and coat my gasket with it, it won't hurt , it should be better and I guess I will have no issues because my headers are straight + heads straight. My headers are straight does not mean they are machined surface, this is where there are difference from one port to another when set on a marble (I did that), you can see 1 mm difference in height from one port to another.
Will go the copper spray route on hedman port matched gasket and we will see ...
I'll need your help how to know when you have a header gasket leak?
I previously had one on my ole 327 but I didn't notice until I removed the headers gaskets I saw there were blown out...

Marc

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
If you can't hear the header leak or see soot mark on head you can use a piece of heater hose or rubber fuel line to your ear and run the other end along the header flange/head, basically a home made stethoscope) if you do ever suspect a leak

1 - 8 of 8 Posts