Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i fire up the rebuilt 69dz, after 5-10mins the #8 header begins to glow. i have double checked timing and mixture. motor now has a hydraulic cam and i'm thinking the valves need readjusting. i plan to check vacumn first. anyone else come across this. thanks

·
In the 10's Moderator
19,785 Posts
that is very bad... headers glowing means that the engine has leaned out(even on just that cylinder).check to see if that cylinder has any blockage(mouse nest?)

------------------
My68Camaro
Doug G.
68 Camaro
406 ci.

·
3,356 Posts
Johns,
Not enough ignition timing can also cause this problem, although it will usually do it in all the cylinders. Check for a vacuum leak . Make sure the intake bolts are tight. Also, as you mentioned, if the exhaust valve is adjusted way too tight, it could be getting held open, but you should hear a "popping" noise in the exhasut if that is the case.
Hope this helps,

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

·
10,144 Posts
I have a friend who's 69 Z/28 get's a glow on #6 cylinder.
He pulled the heads and found a leaky valve on that cyl but when he fixed it, he still had #6 hotter than the rest.

I figured it's wet fuel flow inside the manifold that's still burning when the exhaust valve opens.
Anyone with a stock Z/28 manifold notice that?

We leaned out the drivers side idle mixture screw after making shure the carb idle circuts were clean.
It got better, but not perfect.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Can Am Vintage Racer

1 - 6 of 6 Posts