Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about headers. I have a 68 camaro with a 327. I am replacing the 2 barrel with a edelbrock performer RPM manifold, and a Holley 750 vacuum secondary carb. My cousin is a mechanic and he is rebuilding my engine for me and I told him I wanted to put headers on it, and he told me it would burn my valves or something, I had never heard of this and was wondering if anyone could tell me whether or not this is true, I would appreciate some help!!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Ive been working on cars for 30 years, and I have never heard that one before. If that was the case, why arent drag racers and the likes using manifolds, as hard as they are on the engines?

------------------
67 Camaro SS Conv.
70 Challenger R/T Conv.

·
10,164 Posts
Headers create a greater pull on the exhaust port that increases the engines abiltiy to breathe. Many years ago when magazines used to do "tests" of intake, carbs, and headers, they usually needed to richen up the carb one step to take advantage of the new headers.
As I recall, most intake and carb swaps only improved about 20hp. Usually this was after some careful carb tuning on their part.
Headers did about the same.
The more mods you do elsewhere, the more headers will help.
1 5/8" would be a good size for a 327. If you were going to rev 7000 and had a big cam and carb, 1 3/4" would be good.
You want headers that fit well, and have thick flanges to seal well to the head. Use the correct length bolts, if they are too short they will come loose, if too long will bottom out.
If you have power steering, you have to get headers to clear the box. Not all headers will clear the box.
You also need to re mount the alternator to the header bracket, make shure you have the parts you need. You may have to take the motor mount loose on the drivers side to install the RH header.
David

------------------
The older I get, the faster I was!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
i have some hooker competition headers on my car, its a 69 with power stearing, fit just fine, except i had to lay on my back and slide the headers in to the car from underneath. i left the power stearing and all that in the car when i did it. the only bad thing about the hookers is the driver side header hangs about an inch lower than the passanger side so i always scrape the damn connector, so i changed my front tire size i had 205/50/15's on the front so i went to a 205/70/15 and i only scrape if i go over a speed bump in a hurry, but other than that its fine. i used to scrape the hell outta that one header just drivinmg on the street! im not saying the headers hang that low, my front end is lowered a bit. they are 1 5/8 tubes, only cost $180, good luck with the 327. oh yeah and another thing, i used all the brackets and stuff off of the 327 that was in my car (i have a 350 now,)with no problems.
Justin

------------------
BLack 69 coupe 350/TH400 factory A/C

1 - 5 of 5 Posts