Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering installing headers on my 69 camaro (small block). Do any headers available accomodate the reverse lockout linkage. Possibly the shorty style. Your help is appreciated.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
i would think they all would clear, but i could be wrong. if you want cheap headers that will clear the steering box for sure, get dynomax. if you want to spend some $$$, get hookers.i currently have hedmans, and i had to beat the tube in by the steering box.but, again i say that i am not sure about the reverse linkage, but i think it is pretty much the same as a column shift linkage, and most headers will clear that.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16" IROC wheels

·
Registered
501 Posts
Dynomax will clear the reverse lock-out linkage, but the spark plug clearance is a joke...especially #6. Hedman's have great plug/plug wire clearance, but you won't be able to use the lockout linkage...there's not enough room for the bellcrank (the moving bracket that the rods attach to) between the headers and the subframe. I'm almost positive that Hookers won't clear the linkage either. If you're running a 4-speed, Hedmans allow the use of your stock clutch pedal spring. The others do not. Good luck with this!

·
Registered
402 Posts
I run dynomax headers on my ride. As mentioned, the #6 plug clearance isn't great, but with 90 degree plug boots I don't have any problems...Otherwise, they fit my car super.

-Joe

------------------
79' Z28 Camaro 4-spd
WP Sportsman II heads, .480" lift cam, edelbrock torker II intake, 600cfm Holley, 1 5/8" headers, dual 3" flowmasters...life's a bitch but I deal with it...

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Hey Steve, if money is no option, check with Headers By Ed, his headers are incredible and guaranteed to fit. They run around $950-$1000, but they are built to your engine/trans/rear specs so you get the most of them. Stahl also has some nice headers, but again, they aren't cheap.

------------------
Jeff H - 93 Indy 500 Pace Car(supercharged) & driven daily, Hugger Orange 69 Z28 with JL8 brakes, cross-ram & GM fiberglass hood, TI setup, heater and radio delete, being restored

1 - 5 of 5 Posts