Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am looking to put some headers and dual exhausts on my 76 camaro. I was wondering though if running dual exhausts is possible. The reason I ask is that I went to a local muffler shop, and they said it cant be done because of my ground clearance. Also will there be a great difference in the cars performance. I currently have the stock exhaust manifolds and a stock crossflow muffler. I recently put in a mild comp cam,springs, edelbrock intake, 600 cfm carb,and a supercoil, also new moroso weights and springs. I just am curious to see if spending the money to do this really will make that much a difference. Thanks very much. Peters76

·
Registered
256 Posts
Is your car lowered? If not dont ever go back to that place again,it can obviously be done and it should show a performance improvement with your mods. Headers will occasionally drag the ground on some cars but I dont think thats a big deal unless you are lowered I have never dragged mine on my 69 at stock ride height

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
Many cars that did not have dual exhaust optional from the factory did not have the transmission crossmember "clearanced" for a second exhaust pipe. Secondly a '76 car is supposed to be pollution controlled. (catalytic converters etc.) Most muffler shops won't touch that as it is illegal. You may have to do it yourself.

------------------
69 Camaro Z28 "clone" - 327 AT
"461" camel back heads,
edelbrock , hooker, ultradyne cam, stewart,
TRW etc.
Vintage Air
700R4 TPI transmission

G

·
Peter, If your 76 is anything like my 79 get the dynomax headers, Great fit easy to put in. And you can run the flowmaster american thunder series exhaust for the 70-73 camaro. Only runs $350 for the exhaust system and $89.00 for the headers...

------------------
Tony
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>1979 Z-28, 350- Edelbrock Performer RPM cam and intake, Holley 650, Trick flow twisted wedge heads, dynomax headers - TH350
[/list]

·
Registered
233 Posts
I had dual exhaust in a 74. They had to bang the bottom where the rear seats are up a little. Didn't notice the difference on the inside. But my car would scrap the mufflers now and then. I had to jack the car up in the back and put on some traction bars. But it can be done it just takes some work. I lived in El Paso, and could not get headers because of smog.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello guys..No my car is not lowered, as a matter of fact I am going to put in a set of shackles so I can fit some meaty tires in the rear. I will definitely check out the dyno max headers. I do want to stay smog legal though, my 76 will be my weekend cruiser. It sounds like it will make a difference in performance from what you guys say, I am definitely going to look into putting headers, and if not duals, at least a crossflow performance muffler. Ill let you know how it works out. Thanks alot..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.