Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read most of the past post on various headers and was wonering if anyone has had any new and interesting experiences with small block headers lately.
I have a 69 coupe,383 sb, Vintage Air A/C, 4 speed. I would like to install headers that fit well and won't drag off on the first speed bump I go over. I like the Hedman shorty but from what I read, they won't work.
Any suggestions?
Thanks, Guy

·
Registered
755 Posts
I have run a couple of sets of the basic Hedmans on my '69 with a 400SB, 5 Speed, Vintage Air and lowered 2"+. Both the 1-5/8" or 1-3/4" fit OK - meaning a few minor interference points requiring a small clearance dent.

I just installed the 1-3/4" set and had a few problem points like the steering box, control arm bolt, and a couple of plugs on the drivers side. All relatively minor issues solved with a hammer and big socket. They tuck up nicely and do not drag or hit anything even though my car is lowered.

I guess I'm somewhat cavalier about the interference issue because it seems like no one makes a set of headers that fit well with no interference, good ground clearance, and easy plug access. It's a crime that the manufacturers don't do a better job but that's the way it seems to be and I'm not about to let myself get all crazed and frustrated over this. I just buy cheap headers, whack 'em so they fit and run them. That way I can pick something else to be frustrated and obsessed about.

------------------
Scott
'69 400SB, Richmond 5-speed
www.geocities.com/sdenning1

·
Registered
256 Posts
I tried a set of dynomax ceramicoat headers on my 69 w/4 speed they fit with no denting
and havent dragged the ground yet...well worth the money Mike

·
Gold Lifetime Member
10,477 Posts
My friend has a 69 small block 4-speed car. We put the Hedman coated headers on his (1 3/4" tubes); I don't believe they hit anywhere although they were close to the ps box.

I have a 69 bb car and I ran the Hooker Super Comps which cleared (barely) with the correct frame mounts. I switched to Canfield heads which have a raised exhaust port and contacted Lemon's headers for a set of 2 1/8" headers for the raised exhaust port heads. Even though they are larger tubes they cleared very easily ( at least 1/2-3/4" at the closest to the p.s. box). They slide up easily from the bottom....MUCH easier than the smaller-tube Hookers.

The point of this rambling is there is NO excuse for any small block or big block headers not easily clearing these cars. The manufacturers are content with leaving them the way they are.

Jody

[This message has been edited by Camcojb (edited 11-21-2001).]

·
Registered
64 Posts
Back when there was not much research and technology I have a set of Doug Tompson headers on my 69 302 crossram no power steering and they fit great. Back then bolt it on and go! I have Lemon headers on my other 69 638 Prostreet and Big Duke 1802 heads they fit ok. Lemon is ok. Who can remember where Doug Tompson headers went to?

------------------
Barry
70 1/2 RS Z-28
69 Z-28 Crossram
69 RS SS 396 Convert
69 RS ProStreet 638 G.M.
70 LS6 Chevelle

·
Registered
501 Posts
GJohnson...I currently have three 4-speed 350 69 cars...two with headers. I've tried Hooker Comps, Dynomax, and Hedman...all long tube, all 1 5/8's inch diam. Here's my experience.

Dynomax Jet Hot...(coated)...the #6 spark plug clearance is a joke. Even with a shorty plug, you'll still be changing out blistered plug wires frequently. But they clear the reverse lock-out linkage...only one of thtree that does. The clutch pedal spring has to be re-routed. The flanges are ok width...about 5/16's I guess. Tubes are 18 guage steel. Very shiney coating...almost chrome-like. Uses a 7/16's socket(s) or wrench for install. They have about a half inch more ground clearance than Hookers and Hedmans. Good price.

Hooker Comps...ok, but very close to the steering box, needlessly close to the starter. Won't clear your reverse lock-out lingage, but clears the pedal linkage fine. Pedal spring has to be re-routed. Thicker flanges than Dynomax (I believe). Fair plug clearance all around. Uses 7/16's socket. I can't speak to their coating...but I'm sure it's available. Most expensive of the three, but not bad.

Hedman Elites...best plug clearance of the three. With 90 degree plug boots, no pipe is within 1/2 inch of the wires. Nice! A little more room around the starter. Won't clear the reverse lock-out lingage, but you can use the stock clutch spring and location. Good thick flanges. Uses 3/8's socket for install (a little easier). 16 guage pipes (I believe). Nice looking coating...more aluminum looking than chrome.

My opinion...I strongly endorse the Hedmans.

Three quick pieces of advice...

1) Get coated headers...the benefits far outweigh the cost (about $200 more)

2) Don't use the gaskets provided by any of the three. Go get some good quality header gaskets and collector gaskets.

3) Remove the entire clutch linkage first...will save you time.

Good luck!

X

·
0 Posts
I just put Dynomax headers on my 79. Never put them on before and everyone told me what a pain it was to put headers on. They fit just rignt. Popped in no problems what so ever. Alomst thought I did something wrong because it was to easy.

------------------
Tony
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>1979 Z-28, 350- Edelbrock Performer RPM Package- TH350
<LI>2000 Gmc Sonoma - 5-speed 4.10 rear
[/list]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts