Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to put headers on my 69 camaro but i've always had trouble with them loosing up, any suggestions on what type of headers to get and gaskets?

·
Super Moderator
32,347 Posts
Part of the weekly maintenance. Unless you buy the header bolt locks.

·
Retired
26,615 Posts
Get a package of these high collar header bolt washers and only tighten the bolts until the washer flattens out, don't over tighten... Best $3 - $4 you'll even spend...

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
It's common to have to snug up the bolts the first several times the headers are heat cycled. My Thorleys came with some star washers - thought that was a bit odd. Time will tell if they hold up. IMHO, anti-sieze with a mechanical locker (washers or specialized locking hardware) is better. Steel and aluminum are fickle enough - I'd be afraid to use loc-tite.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Check the depth of threads in the head. If you tap them to the bottom you can sometimes get a longer bolt in there. I went from 3/4 to 1 inch long bolts by bottom tapping. The extra threads seem to help hold better. I used Permatex teflon thread sealer on the threads and Fel-Pro 1404 gaskets. 3 years and tick free.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I put Stage 8 locking header bolts on my last car. No matter what I tried, they'd always loosen up (and a couple were really hard to get to).

They are a bit of a PITA to get on, but the bolts won't ever back out again on you.

Summit and other places sell them.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
I also used locking bolts, along with Earls carbon fiber gaskets.
The bolts are sold by Ford, summit has em, 1" long, combo hex and allen head, with a locking ring held on by an e clip. You get 2 spares, kinda nice.

The gaskets haven't burned and the bolts can't come loose ever.

And yes, stainless bolts into alluminum heads = use anti sieze

1 - 8 of 8 Posts