Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Asking for some help on how to get my headers to go on. I bought the Hooker headers 2130-1HKR's. I unbolted the driver side motor mount and lifted the engine also. I can not seem to get the driver side header up in the car. :mad: I know it's hitting the motor mount and due to the header pipes it hits the oil pan also. i have tried all angles with car lifter, engine lifted and still can't get them on. I contacted holley performance and they told me to try everything that i already did and said they should fit. Now i did look at the 2131-1HKR's and the headers have a different pipe design. Hopeing that i don't have to buy a different set of headers. Anyway, any help or suggestions would be greatly appriciated. Thanks in advance. Mike.

·
Super Moderator
33,291 Posts
Yep, steep learning curve here. I feel your pain. When I installed mine, I had to unbolt both motor mounts and lift the engine and slide it over to the pass side to gain room.

Once header is in place, hold it there, then bring engine back in line, bolt on header, then drop engine in place, literally. I had a Moroso 20190 oil pan also and you will have to use a short oil filter.

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
Have you tried getting the car up high enough so the collector flange is down? On driver side I have been able to get in all the different headers I've used with this method. Basically the flange needed to be parrallel to the floor and I could snake the header into the engine compartment and once I cleared the "stuff" rotate it into position.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply's. I'll try to get the car up higher today. I had used my racing floor jack and it was high enought to get the old ones off. (old ones were from old engine with straight plugs. I beat / dented those pipes just to use to break new engine in) anyway they came out ok. So ya, I'll try placing some wood down and jack car up higher to get collector down more and also try jacking engine up also. I'm hoping this works. I bought these headers due to these being one of a few that will fit angle plug heads for 67 Camaro. Summit, Jegs, and Holley performance all suggested these. If these dont work out, guess I'll sell them and buy the 2131-HKR's.
http://www.holley.com/2130-1HKR.asp
http://www.holley.com/2131-1HKR.asp

Both fit 67 Camaro/ 2130 is 1 5/8, 2131 is 1 3/4, and design is different. Looking at the pictures the 2131's are the ones I should have went with.:cool:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:hurray:HEADERS ARE IN!!. What a pain in the butt. Had to lift car with 4x4 and floor jack, unbolt driverside motor mount, unbolt tranny mount bolts, lift engine up, and unbolt 2 of 3 bolts on motor mount on engine just to be able to turn the mount. The header finally went up in there. After getting everything back in order and bolting on the header. They turned out sweet. And of course the passenger side went right in, no problem. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. Think I may call Holley back up and tell them what i had to go through. Maybe they can tell the next guy that will be wearing the same shoes I was in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got about 3/4 inch clearance. They are about 1/4 inch off the frame underneath the car. That's a tight fit also. Had to move my gas line over. it was up against the header. Other than that, they are nice. If i had to buy another set I would go with the 2131-1HKR's. They seem to be a little better fit on First Gen Camaro's.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Glad you got them up and on! Hooker USED to be a good brand of header but over the last couple yrs they have really gone down hill I think. I have bought my last set of hooker anything due to the mess I experienced on my camaro. After having to dimple pipes to clear the steering box etc... I am now a dynatech fan, these stepped headers for the 1st gen are hands down the better header and are in the same price range.

So if your looking for headers that fit and can not get into the Lemons price range check out Dynatech stepped headers! http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=178213&highlight=dynatech

1 - 8 of 8 Posts