Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building a new 355 looking for a well built header that works well with AFR 195 competition race heads. These heads only come in the angle plug configuration. I'm also not sure if I should use 1 5/8" or 1 3/4". I don't have air conditioning,power steering, or power breaks. It's a mostly drag strip car.
What do you guys think? Please everyone chime in and I'll add it all up. Part numbers help.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
I don't have afr , but I have pro comp 215 raised port angle port heads I used hooker super comp 1.75 headers. #5 and & 7 plug is a real $%^%& to R&R. it takes me about 20 minutes just to change those to plugs
sorry I don't have a part # but you can find it in summit
this is in a 68 Camaro with just power brakes
I had to adjust #7 tube because I have BB frame stands

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
With AFR 210 heads I had the black ceramic coated Hooker p/n# 520-2131-3, they worked great on the engine run stand, but I would have had to beat the crap out of the drivers side to make that $700+ header work. Maybe the newer ones fit the SBC without a hammer.

If you can find them in stock someplace,or call Dynatech, they fit without issue. ground clearance is great,no flange hanging down, they are the ball and socket type. Not one tap with a hammer needed, easy plug access, driver side goes in from bottom, passenger side drops right in from the top.

I hear the Doug's also fit well.

Attachments

·
Registered
399 Posts
Why don't you give Summit Racing or Jegs Performance a call? I'm sure they could advise you on a good fitting set of headers for your engine.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I use dynatech on my afr 195 angle plug comp series. Works well, little rough to get #8.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Why don't you give Summit Racing or Jegs Performance a call? I'm sure they could advise you on a good fitting set of headers for your engine.
I can agree that those folks are as helpful as they can be, but I would rather have a testimonial from folks here that have gone through the same header install as the OP is wanting to do.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
they were of no help to me when acquiring information for my application . as stated above , word of mouth is the best

·
Registered
300 Posts
Did you ever find a good fitting header? I too am building a new small block with AFR 195’s for my 69 w/ PS. What are the “competition” vs. the other AFR 195’s that come in both angle and straight plug configurations? Doug Thorley literature flat out says not compatible, but I will try my Tri-y’s. I really need some w/1 3/4” tubes I think. Holley responded that they don’t have a header that will work. AFR told me to contact Hedman. Haven’t heard back yet. I’m running a mini starter. I don’t like the sound of changing the fuel line routing. All summer I’ve been checking out steering box clearance at car shows on first gens with stock heads and have seen everything from the tube touching the box ones with like 3/4” clearance.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I have Dyna Tech headers on mine, fit great. They are stepped headers, best of both worlds

Reactions: dale68z

·
Premium Member
Brett - Leander, Texas 1969 SS396
1,800 Posts
With AFR 210 heads I had the black ceramic coated Hooker p/n# 520-2131-3, they worked great on the engine run stand, but I would have had to beat the crap out of the drivers side to make that $700+ header work. Maybe the newer ones fit the SBC without a hammer.

If you can find them in stock someplace,or call Dynatech, they fit without issue. ground clearance is great,no flange hanging down, they are the ball and socket type. Not one tap with a hammer needed, easy plug access, driver side goes in from bottom, passenger side drops right in from the top.

I hear the Doug's also fit well.

Darin,
I would like to ask you about your Power Steering hose routing. I have my new lines running differently and wonder if I should follow your lead. I ran mine around the outside but having second thoughts now.....
Also, I like your spark plug routing clips. Do you have a brand or manufacturer?

Thanks,

Brett......

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
Darin,
I would like to ask you about your Power Steering hose routing. I have my new lines running differently and wonder if I should follow your lead. I ran mine around the outside but having second thoughts now.....
Also, I like your spark plug routing clips. Do you have a brand or manufacturer?

Thanks,

Brett......

I'm pretty sure the plug clips I have mounted on the valve cover bolt locations are Taylor.
Looks like you have a Big Block, not sure if you have the room to run the power steering lines like I did.
I just had a couple long hydraulic hoses and tried various routing paths before I bought the angled fittings I needed and made up the ends.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Seems like most 1-3/4 headers are a pain for 5 and 7..straight plugs on an a body same thing. Nightmare...use a piece of rubber hose over the tip when you put the new ones in so you dont drop/crack them 10x
Angle plugs Id think would always fit better.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts