Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I'm running the cheapie Dynomax ceramic coated headers (about $215 from Summit) on mine. Fit is pretty good, but I had to clearance a little. I've seen the Thorley Tri-Y headers on a small block first gen and they give excellent clearance but cost around $325.

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
I just put the hooker super comps ceramic coated on my 67. They look so sweet. No clearence problems (course i had the motor out and put the left side in with the engine) Cant wait till it warms up about..oh 60 degrees.. to run them and see what kinda performance difference they make.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I have the same car '67 327/275 and am in the market for headers also. Should I consider shorties or go with longs? Please explain the difference in preformance (if any). Can I make longs fit without too much modifcation? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
My hooker comps slid right in with the engine in. Pass side went in from the top, drivers from the bottom, at home on jackstands.

Cars that are "made" for dual exhaust, such as our first gens, don't have any trouble with long tube headers, there is plenty of room.

Shorty's are mostly for emission cars with a single cat, or no room underneath for a real dual system, like a third gen camaro.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I’m interested as well.
How's the ground clearance on the Hooker's.
I have seen several unknown header types with 1 side lower than the other. Do the Hooker Comp's or Super Comp's have equal ground clearances and good power steering clearances? Would it be better to get them with out the ceramic coating first and do a trial fit.
Anyone use them with a 2" lowered 1st gen Camaro.
Does anyone have pics they can post?
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
My comps ground clearance is good. After five years, I have only the tiniesat little flat spot on only one of the collectors. The car's pretty low in front, too. I've heard the super comps hang lower, but don't have them.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I have run Hooker super comps on a 68 small block. Pass side fell into place from the top. Driver side went up from the bottom after removing plugs, oil filter and I think clutch Z bar, with car on jack stands.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I went with Hedman Elites Ceramic coated for about 250$ and I'm still having clearance issues with the steering box. Everything else is great about them, especially the ball and socket collectors. I also chose them cause they worked with 4 speed cars.

·
Registered
534 Posts
thorpe67RS,

I had to do the same as you. I had the engine alrady in. I unbolted the drivers side motot mount and losened the trans mount and pass mount. I then jack the motor up on drivers side, removed Z-bar and it barely went in past PS box without scraping anything.

With that, I'm getting ready to re-install my engine and will have have the header going in the same time. MAJOR pain in the rear.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have thorley tri-Y's that were not ceramic coated at first. Ten mile latter they came out and got coated. Why oh Why didn't I buy them this way first. I love these headers no clearence problems at all. Some what tight around steering but manageable to install with engine in.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts