Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for a set of headers for a 69 396
4-speed with the saginaw close ratio steering box. also have the big scatter shield. hedman, thorley, dynomax, none seem to make them.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm gonna try not to do any bashing here,but I have had numerous problems with Hooker headers

I would try a set of Hedmans
,they will fit lots better & if you are looking at buying the coated headers,the Hookers won't last over a year
before the coating has turned to rust.The Hedman's coating is lots better,but none I have seen is better than JetHot.

·
Registered
671 Posts
the reason hookers don't last is they are only coated on the outside, not both inside and outside, i bought a set of hooker comps, 2" primarys in black for my 454 and i broke my motor and cam in, then i sent them to NHTC and had them ceramic coated inside and out, and they look awesome and will last 10-15 years, he warranty's for 3 years in full then after it is no more than half of going rate, check them out on my site, i have power steering and they fit like a glove no dimpling needed, the big problem people have is they do not use the correct motor mounts, as alot of camaros have different motors in them which some times require a different mount, i have correct frame mounts for a bb and i cn run an hei with no problems, hookers are great , there coating is not very good, so get them un coated and send them out to be coated, goodluck
jake

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
I have had very good luck with both smallbock and bigblock headers from Hooker. I agree about the motor mounts, and getting them coated after getting everything broken in and set up.

·
Registered
671 Posts
hey, cause when breaking in an engine, you run it for 20-30 mins at 2000+ rpms, and have not done anytuning to the carb or timing and sometimes it will run a bit lean and get a pipe or two really hot and it could discolor the coating, also it is important to have the headers coated inside and out as exhaust gases have moisture in them and will rust the headers from the inside out, goodluck
jake

·
Retired
26,951 Posts
There are many theories about headers and coating, both inside and out. I've had several coating companys tell me you can't completely coat the inside of headers. I've had others say they can coat the insides but only if the headers have never been used as exhaust gasses cause problems with the coating sticking. Most recomend not breaking in a new engine with coated headers or at least taking steps to keep temps under control.

The thing is we all call them coated and they are not all done the same or with the same materials. That means we need to be careful if we've heard different than someone else!

Bowtie Racer I appreciate this not going where the thread on the Chevelle site did. I think that's a good start.

Header fit is one of the most often discussed topics and I'm sure we all wish and would think the manufactures would get it right! Well let's keep in mind that these cars are real old and to make a set of headers that fits every possible engine, tranny, mounts, steering and all the other things we can do to change the combination away from the stock config isn't a small task. How many different head manufactures are there? Do you really have a factory steering box? Go to the various header web sites and find their fitment page. You'll find an exception list starting at "A" and ending in "ZZ" and then each set of headers has from 5 to 10 of the letters from the chart!! They try but it's impossible for them to know exactly what's been done to your car... And we have fitment problems! That's one of those deals that most of us just have to deal with.

Jaker - I know you wanted recomendations not lectures. I put "Doug's" on my 383 they have a great product. Doug started "Thorley's" and moved on. Thorley's are high quality too. You're going to hear many different brands and someone is happy and someone had a problem with each of them. What ever you end up with, get them before you need the car running, get them uncoated. Fit them and send them for coating after you know they fit. Buy them from a local store so you don't have to deal with shipping returns and if they install easy, you can get to the plugs and you have to dimple a tube or two be happy with them. If you are not happy with them take them back before you damage them!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I purchased my Hookers direct from Jet Hot for 399. They fit great, except one dimple I had to make on the drivers header. It sounds like all applications may vary though. This application was a 69 BB 4-speed with power steerting.

·
Registered
671 Posts
like djd says evryone coats them differently, i chose to break mine in then have them coated as this is a safe bet, also the place i took them said it didn't matter about the inside as he bead blasts inside and out as hooker and the other manufacturer's do a cheap job coating them, my black coating was blistard off and has surface rust on them after only breaking in the engine, this is why NHTC(who coated my headers) said it didn't matter if i broke them in or not as he sand blasts everything he coats as he doesn't want any issues with peeling, etc, he showed me the blasting wand and spraying flex wands that he uses to blast inside the tubes and spray the coating inside the tubes, it was about 3 ft long and you could flex in any shape you needed, mine for what i can see are coated very nicely on the inside, and he gives a 3 year garauntee and a lifetime no more than half price redo if the coating comes undone, the guy is very nice and does alot of ceramic coating, after coating is baked it is a very dull grey , he then puts in a vibratory polisher full of ceramic beads and lets it polish for 30 mins, that is how they get such a nice polish out of them, and i went on to polish mine out even more, anyways goodluck
jake

·
Registered
26 Posts
The problems I have had with Hooker headers are on my 72'Chevelle & my dad's 76'Chevy pick up.

I had to have 1 tube cut & moved outwards a couple of inches to clear my kicked out oil pan & mini-starter.Most people that have drag cars are going to run a kicked out oil pan & it don't make any sense that the SuperComp headers won't fit that application.

Hooker said that they would also work with a column shifter with 1 bend on 1 linkage rod.There is NO WAY they would fit.

I have to run spark plug wire protectors on all the wires & there is NO WAY a oil dipstick will fit my car,because a header tube is in the way.There is so much more room that header tubes could have been run on a Chevelle,but on these headers,the tubes are all cramped up to the valve covers.I run the wire spark plug wire dividers that run accross the top of the header tubes from front to rear & I had to cut,bend & modify them because 1 tube on each side runs accross the top of the other tubes.

I had to take the right header off to remove the stock style starter & almost can't get a mini-starter on.

It cost me twice as much to have exhaust run on my car,because the SuperComps for a sbc Chevelle point upwards toward the crossmember & don't leave hradly any room to come off the header & bend the tube around the X-member.It took quite a while to have this done.
The ONLY way is to bend the 3"tubes on each side around the X-member & flare the pipe with the collector flange on the tube & bolt straight up to the header.I could not use the collectors that weld to the tube & bolt to the exhaust.

Everything on my car is in the stock location with the correct motor mounts.
-------------------------------------------------
On the 76'Chevy P/U,I bought brand new Hooker Competition headers.If anyone has ever looked under the hood of a 1973-1987 pick up,you will know that there is enough room for 2 more motors under the hood.
This truck is a base model(no air,manual brakes,no pollution crap,etc.)

I had to buy spark plug wire protectors for all 8 wires.One wire has to be run behind a header tube through a 1/2 inch hole between another tube.This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen in all my 15+years of racing.

All of the header tubes are squashed up against the motor.

Both headers were not even welded all the way around the collector flange.They were only welded 3/4 around with a 1/4 inch hole left on the top side of both headers(left & right) & they were this way right outta the box.

I had a similar problem having the exhaust ran as i did on my Chevelle.
My exhaust man had to run 1 tube over & 1 tube under the X-member 7 there was not much room for bending.
My exhaust man also had to "finish" welding the collector flanges on the headers.

After about 8 months the Hooker coating on the truck headers turned to solid rust.They look worst now than if I would not have got them coated at all.

My Chevelle headers I sent to JetHot & that was almost 6 years ago & they still look new.

I am not bashing any company's name here,I am just stating the problems that I have had with 2 sets of Hooker headers that I bought & this does not include the 2 sets of SuperComp headers that I help to install on my friends 71' & 72'Novas.

We had to beat dents in them so that the header bolts,spark plugs,etc would fit & then we had to smash 1 tube about 10"inches down so that a mini-starter would fit & I'm not talking about slightly smashed either.

One friend of mine had to buy a special set of headers from Hooker to fit his 84'MonteCarloSS with a 468 bbc with 2" primary tubes on the headers.
I will say that these headers fit like a glove,I couldn't believe how well they fit.
What I don't understand is why these special headers fit this car so well & it didn't ever come with a BBC,but the regular headers for popular applications don't fit.
I have not seen any BBC headers that had any problems,just the sbc.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Originally posted by Bowtie Racer:
I'm gonna try not to do any bashing here,but I have had numerous problems with Hooker headers

The Hedman's coating is lots better,but none I have seen is better than JetHot.
JetHot deals Hooker headers directly, and for a good price

·
Registered
671 Posts
ray they do not have a site, and i can't find his business card, but they are in Manchester,NH ,name is NHTC(new hampshire High temperature coatings) i belive its that, he did an awesome job and would bring headers to him anytime, look number up on yahoo yellow pages
jake

1 - 17 of 17 Posts