Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where do I start? I have just one hi beam that works on the drivers side. The passenger hi beam does not work. Neither of the low beams work. Yes the headlamps are new. I hate electrical stuff with a passion. Just looking for a starting point. 1969 SS.

Gary

·
Retired
16,013 Posts
Unplug them both, clean the plug connectors, WD40 and re-install. If no better, check the high beam switch on the floor of your left foot. That connection has to be tight and also clean. Then check the connector at the switch up under the dash, Clean and spray that. See what happens.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Just about every "real" problem I've ever had with headlights on either my Camaro or GTO was dimmer-switch related. You'd never guess it... but I guess those things take quite a pounding there under the carpet. I still have the original dimmer in my GTO, but I've taken it apart and cleaned it and checked and cleaned the connections a couple of times. I replaced the Camaro switch last year. The only other issues are the connectors at the headlight itself. Make sure they're clean and tight.
Good luck.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You guys were right on again....the dimmer switch was the prob. I just claeaned and used some contact cleaner on the terminals and hot damn I can drive at night...THANKS.

Gary

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I have a problem similar to this but it's only one headlight pass side. It works on hi and low but sometimes it gets real dim and then goes bright again. I don't know much about electrical but I'm thinking ground. I'm also going to clean the connectors in plug but click said to use WD40 or equiv but wouldn't it be better to use contact cleaner since WD is a lube? Thanks

·
Registered
565 Posts
Steve I don't know if I ever got back to you, but your advice was right on for me too, and the dimmer fixed all the headlight issues I had. Got it from Ricks.

·
Retired
16,013 Posts
Jethro, glad we can help, thats what TC is for, sharing what we all have learned.
Ram I think WD40 is used to displace water such as in distributor caps etc. I use an Amsoil product called MP which is similar and their directions say to use to clean elec contacts as well. I dont have a can of WD around since I dont use it, but grab your can and let me know if it says OK to use on elec. contacts etc.
I used WD in my note since most guys have that around the shop.

·
Retired
16,013 Posts

1 - 10 of 10 Posts