I'm not exactly what the correct measurement is, but the best way I have found to align them is to pull up to a wall and adjust the screws until the height of each beam going into the wall at about the same height. Maybe you have a newer vehicle that sits about the same height that you can pull up to the wall with, and get the measurement from? This will get it pretty close, I would imagine.
1. Fill car with full tank of fuel.
2. Mark with a dot, the center of each headlamp.
3. Measure the distance from the ground to dot.
4. Park car pointing to a blank wall (garage door does fine), on a level plane 25 feet from wall.
5. Directly in front of each headlamp, use carpenter's square and chalk line, measure up from ground distance measured in Step 2. Place a 6X6 inch cross at each point.
6. Remove headlamp bezels to gain access to adjusting screws.
7. Turn on high beams and adjust the "hot spots", the center of the light beam, for the cross.
8. After adjusting high beams, select low beams. The beam center should be down and to the right approximately 2 inches in each direction.
9. Turn off headlights and replace bezels.
This will get you very close for VA state inspection.
A forum community dedicated to 1st generation Chevy Camaros owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about performance, builds, restoration, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, reviews, and more!