Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does power run thru the headlight switch before the instrument fuse? I have no brake, tail, interior or instrument lights. The fuse labeled Inst has no 12v power on either side of the fuse with the key on or off. When I jumped power to that fuse the lights came on.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Yes. It comes off the headlight switch on a dark green wire to the fuse block, runs across the fuse, then goes to the dash lights on a gray wire.
There is also a fused 18AWG orange wire on the headlight switch that is part of the same circuit that the courtesy lamps are on.

You should have a 12AWG always hot wire on the head light switch.

The three fuses on the left side of your fuse block are for clock/lighter/courtesty, tail lights, and hazards. The 12AWG wire above is on the alwas hot side of those fuses. I believe the whole circuit has a fusible link at the horn relay bus bar.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
You bet. I've got schematics I can email if it'll help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Schematics would be great.
I have a 1967 Camaro convertible, 327/275. Not sure if you need that, but I thought it wouldn't hurt. Seems to be a weird issue, headlights and front park lights work fine but the instrument lights, tail lights, brake lights and courtesy lights don't work. When I jumped power to the dead Inst fuse, the instrument and tail lights come on but not the brake or courtesy lights. I still hope its the headlight switch. All fuses are good.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
I've only got ones for a '69 but a lot of the stuff is the same. They're on the way so you might want to edit your post to wipe out the email before a spambot grabs it.

If your tail lights came on when you put power on the instrument fuse then something is likely out of adjustment on the headlight switch. Sounds like it was backfeeding through the switch to the tails which shouldn't happen as at least on a '69 the instrument circuit is independent.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
While in the process of pulling the gauges to replace the headlight switch I noticed the interior lights came on. So it was not the headlight switch after all. I must have a loose connection on a wire somewhere under the dash. That should be fun to find! Thanks for the help everyone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts