Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to replace the headlight switch. I'm sure not to difficult, but haven't done it before. Any feed back welcome. How do you pull out the knob and shaft?
Thanks!

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
There's a little spring-retained button underneath the switch that you push in to release the shaft and knob, pull on them gently while pressing on the button :thumbsup:

·
14,090 Posts
there's a little spring-retained button underneath the switch that you push in to release the shaft and knob, pull on them gently while pressing on the button :thumbsup:

Headlight_Switch_Button.jpg

·
Retired
16,013 Posts
Similar to John's photo, mine is for RS cars with vacuum bibs for opening the headlight doors. But the common thing is that spring loaded button, thats the release :) The threaded washer nut is easy to back off after you pull out the knob. There are 2 notches in the nut that I just used needle nose pliers on.

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Hi Gary
To go along with Johns pic's.
I have a Post where I took a few shots from different angles.

3 things I learned working on my Headlight Switch is that
- it is installed on an Angle, away from where you can get your hand in. There is a Tab on the Switch and
-

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Sorry to post again, was in the middle of something and got sent.

Hi Gary
To go along with Johns pic's.
I have a Post where I took a few shots from different angles.

http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=327082

3 things I learned working on my Headlight Switch is that,

- It is installed on an Angle, away from where you can get your hand in.
There is a Tab on the Switch and a Slot in the Headlight Switch Grounding Plate which positions the switch that way.
I can barely touch the Headlight Switch Knob “Release Button” when installed, let alone Pushing it.

- If your Dash Carrier is out, I believe installing the Switch should be the last thing you do as lining up the Switch, Ground Plate, (Woodgrain Insert if you have that) and getting the Nut started can be done. And then install the Dash Carrier.

- Unless you are able to access that “Release Button” –
Do Not install the Knob/ Shaft until it is the Last thing left to do.
I had to Loosen the Dash Carrier and pull out to access the “Release Button’ once or twice, it’s difficult.

Hope this helps you.

Timmy

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
I find the square end of a take out chop-stick works well to push the button on an RS.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
When it comes time to unscrew the bezel, there actually is a tool (sold by the parts houses) to do it. Not necessary but less risk of scratching it up than if you use alternatives.

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
I find the square end of a take out chop-stick works well to push the button on an RS.
Is that what that Hole in the Dash Support is for, I never looked up thru to see if it lines up with the Button.

I needed a Quick Headlight Switch Bezel Nut Wrench - I took a 3/8 washer, cut like 1/3 of it off and put it in a Vise Grip and used it like a Screwdriver, worked great.

Last time I was at Ground Up, I bought the Tool just in case.
Timmy

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
Is that what that Hole in the Dash Support is for, I never looked up thru to see if it lines up with the Button.
LOL no I have no clue what that hole is for but at least on mine it is too far to the left of the button. I stick the chop stick through the tangle under the dash to depress the button. Got my hand stuck once and only needed that to happen once before I figured out another approach.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts