Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read through every post on this subject and am at a dead end. Here is my issue:

I recently replaced the entire wiring harness in my 68 Camaro with an AAW harness. I am fighting one last issue--the left turn signal is acting strange.

With headlights off:
-When I turn on the left turn signal, the driver's side: marker light, signal indicator and rear turn signal light up, but do not blink.

With headlights on:
-When I turn on the left signal, the turn signal indicator light and marker light do not turn on....but the driver's side rear turn signal works perfectly.

Additional Info:
- The hazard lights work fine.
- I have digi-tails LED tail lights
- I have installed a brand new AAW 1968 Camaro wiring harness with new flashers, new bulb sockets and new bulbs.
- I "double-grounded" the dash carrier to the car to ensure that particularly troublesome ground is okay.
- The car's chassis grounds are fresh and in place with star washers.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Brent

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
What kind of flashers? If you have thermals in there they aren't getting enough current draw with the LED's.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will install the flashers from Spagehtti engineering and see what happens...

Question though--why would this be isolated to the driver's side only? Is that how the flasher is set up (left/right)?

·
Premium Member
5,583 Posts
I will install the flashers from Spagehtti engineering and see what happens...

Question though--why would this be isolated to the driver's side only? Is that how the flasher is set up (left/right)?
I dont know if that will fix your problem. The last 2 sets of LED tail lights I put in had to have the led flasher to work. I tried all the different flashers and had a couple heavy duty flashers and they still would not work.

They would all light up but not blink. You seem to be having a different problem but I would get the correct flasher first.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I have the LED flashers in hand and will try them first. If that fails, I will try to heavy duty flasher that Everett recommends.

Stay tuned and I will report back with the results

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
You may also note that AAW isn't perfect. I bought a complete set up and had to send the engine harness back because of an open in the resistor wire and had to swap a couple terminals in another harness...

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update--I am still having problems but have fixed a couple of things:

1. I used double star washers on each ground (front and back of the bolt/nut) and dielectric grease. I scraped the ground area to bare metal before re-installing them. I did this for 5 grounds in the front of the car (in radiator support area), 4 behind the dash and 2 in the trunk. There are no more grounds that I know of.
  2. I installed a heavy duty flasher for the hazards (which work perfectly) and used the LED flasher with a ground wire for the turn signals)
  3. I installed a secondary ground from the instrument cluster

With the Headlights Off:

The turn signals work perfectly front and rear.

With the Headlights on:

The parking lights work perfectly

Both dash turn signal indicators light up at the same time (no matter what side I engage), but do not blink.

Rear:
Each rear LED turn signal lights up brightly when I engage that side's turn signal, but does not blink

Front:
The front turn signals do not work at all with the headlights on--they are totally dark.

So, bottom line, when I turn on the headlights, the signals don't work--they get bright and freeze on.

Any advice?--I don't know where to go from here.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Just a couple of questions:

Did everything work correctly before the AAW harness change?
Did everything work correctly before changing over to LED lights? I know it sounds kind of dumb,but you might be able to determine at what point the problem started. Just my .02. Also the 552 flasher would not flash my LEDS, had to buy electronic for signal and emerg. to flash. BTW that is a great looking '68. I like how you did the pic. Good luck with your problem,you'll figure it out.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Eric,

Everything worked great before the harness change. The LED lights were installed before the harness change and they did work great.

I have a heavy duty 552 for the hazards (they work great) and an LED flasher for the signals (which work great until I put the headlights on)

Thanks for the comment on the car--I pulled it behind a department store and took some shots of it--I was looking for a solid color with no people around to think I was a dork for taking pics of my car...I was able to be a dork in private...

·
Registered
484 Posts
So something's not right in the AAW harness somewhere,right? Maybe send it back for another one? If you can?

·
Super Moderator
32,358 Posts
Try two ideas, maybe three:
1. From the parking lights, run a separate ground back to the battery neg post.
2. Run a jumper from pos battery post to flasher.
3. If niether of the above works, add an external DC power supply (1st choice) or an external battery charger (2nd choice) to the battery posts.

I'm thinking with headlights on, not enough power, read watts, being provided for the turn signals with the headlamps on.

As Capt Kirk would say, "Need more power, Scotty"

Since two others have answered as I typed, I'm sure you tried the 552 for the regular flasher?

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cost me $2,100 to have installed cause i didnt have the time to do it...I can't imagine having to do that again...I'm prob stuck checking wire by wire.....!

·
Registered
484 Posts
I think it's something in the headlight circuit itself that's not wired correctly,that might narrow it down a little bit.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
I think it's something in the headlight circuit itself that's not wired correctly,that might narrow it down a little bit.
That is what I'm thinking. If the flashers work with no headlights, then they are doing their job and are functional. It acts like the headlight switch is cutting power to the front turn lamps. Could be a power problem as Everett suggests, likely in the form of weak grounds (though you said you checked that).

Do you have a good schematic and digital multimeter? Sounds like you need them.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have the schematic and a digital voltmeter. To be honest, I only know how to use the meter to check voltage.

I would guess I need to know how to check resistance/ohms??

On another note, I checked the wired grounds, but understand that the bulbs in the turn signals are dual filament and could also be an issue...as could the bulb sockets.

I read a post in another forum for someone having a similar problem that said: "You have a bad ground at one of the lamp sockets. The turn signal works with the headlights off because the turn signal circuit is grounding through the parking light filament in the bulb (the 1157 bulb has two filaments connected in the bulb at a common ground). When the headlights (and thus the parking lights) are on, there is +12V on that other filament"

I have not checked those but will ...

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
I'm not as familiar with RS turn signal lights, so my help may not be as applicable...

Do you have new sockets or the originals? You need to ohm out between the bayonet connector where the bulb grounds and to any solid ground on the chassis. It should be very low, less than 1 ohm. If it is not, you don't have a good ground.

And not to overlook the really simple, you do have the correct bulbs in the front? Should be dual filament.

Here is my post describing this for a non-RS

http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=204704

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
There have been a lot of questions on turn signals, so I've been working on an easy to ready diagram for the park/turn/hazard/brake/tail circuits. Here is a sneak preview if it helps out:

http://www.novitatech.com/Images/misc/LightingDiagram.jpg

White wires are surrounded with a black line so they are visible.

No guarantees :noway:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts