Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just testing the circuits in my new painintheass wiring harness, and when I pull the headlights on, the side and front markers go off. Is this right?

First time the old girl had power running through it in quite some time. I wanted to sleep under the front bumper to the gleem of the 4-ways flashing...

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Side markers are supposed to be on with both the parking lights and the headlights on 68 and 69. Parking lights stay on with the headlights (on a 69; not sure about 68).

Sounds like something isn't wired right.

joe

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
yep, somethings amiss, my 68's parking lights and side markers stay on w/ the headlights. since its that close to being right, i would imagine its something simple, maybe a single wire swap. good luck with it, electrical can be a pain (and i'm an electrician!)

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's what I was afraid of :( . I was trying to convince myself last night they were supposed to turn off. :D

I'll start lookin'.. Anyone else ever have this problem?

Thanks!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I put a painless kit in my 67rs and it works the same way yours does. From what I know of 67s, its supposed to work this way. Call painless and talk to one of their tech guys. Always real helpfull when I called.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's the response I got from Painless Tech

"GM designed their headlight switches to turn the parking lights off when you
turn the headlights on. Their reasoning behind this was they felt it would
be more safe to have a front turn signal go from bright orange to off
instead of bright orange to dim orange (back to parking lights) when someone
is coming towards you at night with your headlights on. You can splice the
park lights into the tail light circuit if you want to bypass this safety
feature."

Can anybody verify this is how it's supposed to work? Is there anything wrong with just leaving it the way it is? Now I'm confused... :confused:

Thanks

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
67's worked just the way the Tech described it to you. 68's and 69's the parking lights stayed on with the headlights. I've know several people that have had this issue in 68's with the painless wiring harness. There is a wire in the headlight switch connector that is either in the wrong place, or is missing a jumper from one of the other terminals in the 68 installation. Can't remember which one it is since I only partially paid attention while they were describing the problem. Once you straighten out the connector everything works fine. I think Painless sells a generic 67/68 harness and this is what causes the problem.

·
Registered
503 Posts
On my '68 (standard coupe) the front parking lights stay on with the headlights. They have double filment bulbs; the brighter filament flashes so that they are noticable even when the lights are on.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, thanks guys-- Makes sense now. I'll check the archives for the switch/wiring problem. And yes the harness is the same for 67/68.

Oh, and by the way... I coldn't believe how much brighter all the lights were with the new harness, even with a battery that's been sitting for 1 year. It will probably knock my socks off with the car running, and another ground going up to the block :eek:

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
In 67's there is only one brown wire coming off the light switch going to the rear parking lights, and a purple wire going to the front parking lights on a different terminal. I don't have a contact arrangement for the light switch but the terminal with the purple wire must get opened when you pull the switch all the way out to the headlight position. 68's have two brown wires coming off the same terminal. One to the rear parking lights, one to the front parking lights. The terminal where the purple wire hooks to on the 67 light switch is empty (has no wire on it). Looks like you need to more the purple wire to the same terminal that the brown wire is on.

http://gvtc.com/~rlaa/Electrical/

·
Registered
137 Posts
I used the Painless kit on my 69 and mine go off to. I can't tell you about the side markers because I removed mine. To solve this problem all you have to do is add a jumper wire between the parking and headlight circuit. I don't remember which wires they are off hand.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts