Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Headlights have not been a problem at all over the years.

A couple of days ago I pulled them on and nothing. I ran the switch again a time or two and they came on … Good deal.

Next day, no headlights again. Not too big a deal as I was driving at near day break. :|

This morning once again no headlights. Sadly this time I was driving an hour earlier in the morning … Dark. :surprise:

I bought a new switch and I am getting the same result.

Can I get a quick lesson on headlight wiring? I am assuming they pick up power from the horn relay?

Any advice appreciated.

Edited to add:

Not sure why I didn't test this earlier … if I hit the headlamp Hi/Low beam button the lights do work on high beam.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I think you have found your problem. Disconnect the dimmer switch and test it with an ohm meter. They are cheap, but often go bad.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think you have found your problem. Disconnect the dimmer switch and test it with an ohm meter. They are cheap, but often go bad.
Yes, I have come to agree.

I kept tinkering with the switch and discovered that I could get the dims to come on (sometimes) when holding the button down, then they go off when I release it.

After more tinkering they will (sometimes) stay on with the button released.

I hardly ever use the switch, it's might even be possible that the contacts are just dirty or corroded.

I am glad to know I at least can get headlights even if only high beam at the moment.

I'll give the switch a workout and see if it cleans up it's act. If not I'll replace it.

Thanks for the input.:wink2:

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
Okay here is the one of two common headlight issues. One being the obvious but often over looked - dead headlight bulb.
Single unit has both Hi and Low beams, rarely do both Hi and Low die at the same time.

The other is a crud caked floor dimmer switch.
Admitted these days rarely are these cars driven in bad weather or winter where water and slush find their way from shoes to the carpet and into the switch where it rots them out.

You can check continuity of your bulbs or the output at the socket with your multi-meter. And yeah you can test and clean up/rebuild your foot dimmer but they are cheap at any parts counter anyplace in North America as they were and are still in use in millions of cars and trucks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts