Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
15,370 Posts
There's some debate on whether there's supposed to be 4 or 5. I happen to have 5 in mine which was\is a standard interior. Maybe it depends on the headliner used for a particular interior option?

In order from front (windshield) to rear:

1 - short 46 5/8"
2 - short 46 5/8"
3 - thin wire (center bow)
4 - longest 49 1/4"
5 - medium 48 1/4"

I got to looking a little closer at the bows last night. I noticed that they're color coded. At least three of them (didn't pay attention to which ones) have a 2 inch splash of red, gold and silver paint on them. I couldn't find paint on the other 2 large diameter rods, but that could be from corrosion. I'll look at them again tonight and tell you which one's have which color paint on them.

[ 02-20-2005, 08:59 AM: Message edited by: HwyStarJoe ]

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Joe,

Thanks for the info. I do have the thin wire (center bow) also, but there is no question where it belongs.
I didnt know about the color coding and already cleaned and painted them, so color ID won't help.
Your short - short - long - medium info should set me straight.

Thanks again

·
Premium Member
6,550 Posts
From my notes:
Starting at the front of the car,

Bow 1 and 2 are the same size and curve, red on drivers side, white on pass side

Bow 3 - more of a straight rod than 1 and 2, pink on the drivers side, blue on the pass side.

Bow 4 - just pink on the drivers side

Bow 5 - just white on drivers side.

I have pictures of all the bows and the paint dabs on them. I need to find my memory stick with these pictures on them. It shows the diference in the bows and would help someone if they lost track of which bow goes where. I need to find those pics.

there are some pics on my webpage

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Jonesy's right. My 67 bows have the same colors and same positions. Just to validate the colors. The paint dabs on mine are about 1/2" in length and look as if they were dabbed from the tops as the bow sits in the car. Drips to the lower part of the bow on a few of them.

·
Premium Member
6,550 Posts
The two rear ones have more of a bend on each end and I believe are the same. The two fronts have less bend and are the same. The middle on gets attached using the shark teeth tabs and is more of a straight rod.

Once you lay them out, you'll see what I mean.

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmmm... If I no longer have the paint codes on the ends, I can no longer be sure of RH & LH of the bow. Also, since they were not in place, I cannot be sure of the correct hole to insert them into. This may take some test fitting when the headliner is installed.
Do Chevy Nova bows interchange? I know where I can get a "virgin" set from a '69 Nova. The answer is probably "No", but I thought I should inquire.

·
15,370 Posts
It's possible....
If you can score the Nova set, lay them next to the Camaro set and compare. It'll be good info for someone needing them in the future.

As far as which holes they go into, like you said, it'll be trial & error really. I wouldn't worry which end goes to which side. From what I see, the matching rods are bent the same on each end.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
The two rear ones have more of a bend on each end and I believe are the same. The two fronts have less bend and are the same. The middle on gets attached using the shark teeth tabs and is more of a straight rod.

Once you lay them out, you'll see what I mean.
While I realize this is an old post I'm going over all the headliner threads in preparation for doing mine. My rods have never been out of the roof until today. When I took out the old headliner a couple years ago it disintigrated and so I left the rods in place. Just to correct a couple things for future searchers. The 2 rods closest to the front are the same as Jonesy said. Mine both have red paint near the center as well as the pink on the end of the right side. The center bow is self explanatory. It is considerably thinner guage wire & is held in place with bent over prongs. Next one back from the center has blue paint towards the center and is slightly longer than the very rear one which has white paint on it near the center. I dug another set out of my barn that were removed from a parts car many years ago and the sizes & paint dabs were similar. The pink & light blue dabs on the ends to tell right from left are interesting and I will follow that when I install my new headliner but I can't imagine it actually making a difference in how they fit.

·
Registered
7,539 Posts
Headliner bow placement fore to aft is self explanatory. If they are not marked upon removal it's no big deal. If you tried to put them in the wrong place they would look like a pretzel. They are spring steel. Their installation will be expedited by noting side hole location but that's not required either. If they are in the wrong location it's obvious by arch appearance and difficulty of installation; if you were able to even get them in the holes at all. I've seen them vary from side to side, and have installed headliners with unmarked bows.

·
Registered
45 Posts
In order to cut the listings to the correct width for a 67-68, you can measure from center, using these photos for reference slitting the listings back.
http://s9.photobucket.com/user/cdoukas/library/Camaro Headliner Listings Width

Notice that it is just a slit/cut on each side for each bow...not cutting the listing long ways...just a hole so that the rods/bows can peek out. You can adjust if you have to by making a new slit, but I am on my 2nd car helping a friend and my original measurements were spot on.

http://s9.photobucket.com/user/cdoukas/library/Camaro Headliner Listings Width

Clark

·
Premium Member
19,640 Posts
This is some info I wrote down when I was doing my headliner.

Roger

1 - 13 of 13 Posts