Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i installed a new headliner, i made the mistake of replacing the original metal center bow clips with the aftermarket plastic ones that everyone sells. Vibration and road bumps cause the bows to pop off the plastic clips. I can push them back in place, but it’s a PITA. The original metal clips held the bows FIRMLY in place and it took muscle to remove them, probably due to time/corrosion. My headliner bows are correctly installed and the headliner has no sags or misalignments. Am I the only one who has this problem?
Should i have slit the sleeve in the portion of the bows that snaps into the plastic clips? I don’t want to remove the glass again and redo the headliner without knowing what I did wrong.
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel Grille
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel Grille

·
Super Moderator
33,725 Posts
Nice Camaro’s
I would suggest using a syringe and needle filled with a quick glue and apply through the headliner onto clip before pressing bow into place.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice Camaro’s
I would suggest using a syringe and needle filled with a quick glue and apply through the headliner onto clip before pressing bow into place.
Everett,
I’ve thought of doing exactly what you’ve suggested. The fact that you brought it up proves that I’m not as crazy as I thought. I think I’m going to try it.
Thank you for taking the time to respond. Thanks too for the “like” on my Camaro. I’ve done everything on my own, except the paint which is the work of an artist.
thanks again.
Bob Fabie

·
Super Moderator
33,725 Posts
You’re welcome, Bob, and let us how it works out.
Hopefully you saved the metal clips?
I have replaced a headliner without removing glass and difficult Yes, but doable.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, like a dummy, I tossed them. Since your solution seems doa me, I’m now wondering where I can find the right high strength epoxy and a syringe combination that will dispense the glue and not poke too large a hole in the headliner.
Good to know that the headliner is doable with the glass in place, but having done it with the glass out, I’m sure it’s neither easy or optimal.
I’ll let you know the outcome of the glue project.
Thanks again.
Bob

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didn’t know plastic clips were used in ‘67. When I removed my bows from the original metal clips, I had to exert considerable force to get them off. The plastic replacements I used on the same bows don’t offer the same grip.
Thanks for your note.
Bob

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
Should i have slit the sleeve in the portion of the bows that snaps into the plastic clips? I don’t want to remove the glass again and redo the headliner without knowing what I did wrong.
Nice looking Camaro!
I've done a few of these and also replaced those plastic clips. I've always cut out this section of the sleeve first and never had an issue, maybe the added width of the fabric spreads out the clip? At this point glue and syringe cant hurt. Superglue syringes

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nice looking Camaro!
I've done a few of these and also replaced those plastic clips. I've always cut out this section of the sleeve first and never had an issue, maybe the added width of the fabric spreads out the clip? At this point glue and syringe cant hurt. Superglue syringes
I think you’re correct about cutting a slit in the fabric at the points where the bows snap into the plastic clips. This is something that no site or instructional video ever mentioned, as best I recall. That makes sense to me and I wish I had done it, but it never crossed my mind. I’m still stalling on the syringe/glue idea. As I have mentally rehearsed the process, it will go flawlessly, but factoring in reality, it could end up a real mess. I’ve noticed many/most of the syringes have blunt ends rather than needled points. I guess the end has to be wide enough to deliver the glue. I haven’t hear from anyone who has actually performed this procedure, so I may be the first. Thanks again.
Bob

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
I think you’re correct about cutting a slit in the fabric at the points where the bows snap into the plastic clips. This is something that no site or instructional video ever mentioned, as best I recall. That makes sense to me and I wish I had done it, but it never crossed my mind. I’m still stalling on the syringe/glue idea. As I have mentally rehearsed the process, it will go flawlessly, but factoring in reality, it could end up a real mess. I’ve noticed many/most of the syringes have blunt ends rather than needled points. I guess the end has to be wide enough to deliver the glue. I haven’t hear from anyone who has actually performed this procedure, so I may be the first. Thanks again.
Bob
I think the syringe idea could work if your able to saturate the fabric enough to bond to both the rod and the clip.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
IT WORKED!
I know it's been a while since I posted the issue with the headliner bows popping off their plastic clips and how best to fix the problem without having to re-install another headliner. I used Gorilla 5 minute epoxy and a syringe and needle. I felt around to find the exact position/location of the plastic clips and injected a glob of epoxy. The following day, I drove the car over bumps with the windows open and, so far so good. The bows have not popped out. Time will tell if they hold for the long term. Thank you all for your ideas and comments. If anyone wants to know the exact products I used, please let me know and I'll send the details.
Bob

·
Premium Member
1968 Camaro 454 LS6, Holley 950, Tremec 5 speed, Currie 9 in
240 Posts
Thanks for letting everyone know how things worked out. It's always disappointing when a thread is started, but we never see the outcome.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts