Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello: I am in the process of installing a replacement headliner in my 68 standard coupe. My question is related to the "tack strips" behind the sail panels. What is the best fastening method for the headliner material to these 2 strips? The original staples were very small wire gauge and I am having a hard time finding anything similar to use. I have tried typical T50 type of staples with 1/4" long legs. These just pull out of the strip and will not hold the material. Should I use headliner glue with these staples on these strips? Should I avoid glue on these strips since there wasn't any from the factory in these areas? I have searched previous posts and this step of the headliner process doesn't seem to come up. All opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I used glue and staples and it came out nice. I can't remember what size staples they were, but I use the "Powershot" stapler from Home Depot. It is easy to squeeze and throws the staples pretty hard.

Your issue may not be the staple itself, but how much force is behind it? Meaning, the staple may not be penetrating the strip?

Phil

1 - 3 of 3 Posts