Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have a 67 RS/SS that I am installing the headliner in. I started to install the headliner and I have been using the 1829 headliner adhesive from Rick's . It sucks. It doesn't hold worth a damn.

I am looking at using real contact cement on this . Has anyone done this with contact cement. It woud seem like a better quicker way to do this.

Any thoughts???

·
Registered
820 Posts
Where is it not holding it at, Most of the hold is given by the trim pieces on the sides and front / back, Depending on the length of the headliner, sometimes I have seen shops tuck them behind the window sills (meaning pull the windows out ) but I dont think this is necessary, I usually Start in the rear, using the black trim for a grip. once I have all the metal rods threaded in their holes I start working my way to the front. I dont tuck the sides untill the front is in . then I let it sit and let the monkey snot (glue) dry a bit, then I get my heat gun (or a good hairdryer will work) and warm up the liner to finish the siderails off. and get the wrinkles out . Everyone has a different Technique , this one works for me with minimal headache.

------------------
Chris's 67 RS can be seen at http://www.geocities.com/macphreak4evr/index.html
JOIN THE CAMARO NET WEBRING! www.geocities.com/macphreak4evr/webring/webringjoin.htm !!!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lets say I have already started at the fron and that I have started to glues the sides with the above mentioned snot.

Do you think that I should go right to the rear window, heat up the headliner, sweat my butt off, and work from the middle out?

At this point, I think I can get the glue off the the sides but I don't want to wreck it.

Thanks for the reply.

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Murrayo
I started with pinning it up all the way around with those heavy duty type paper clip things (clamp type, check my project page on my website). I went around and strethed it out a couple of times. Then I let the car sit out in the sun (pulled all the wrinkles out).
Once I had stretched it out over a week I used the pinch moldings to hold it in place. I did not use the glue and it has turned out excellent. One thing I did do was get rid of the chrom interior moulding that used to be in place around the headliner sides. I got a used set of the standard interior pinch mouldings from Ebay.com for 15 bucks, new ones are pretty expensive. I started with the sides first then the front and then the rear. One thing to remember is to put all your screws in for your mirror, visor mounts and your dome light. That way when it comes time to put this stuff back on all you have to do is cut a little x over the screw head then install the hardware. If I can help in anyway just give me an email.

------------------
Tim
67 ss/rs, MODIFIED
Tim's Homepage
AOL-IM = sixtsevnss

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is an awesome idea. I am in no hurry to finish this especially if it will look like crap. I have a million of those clips and I can let it bake ( if we get any sun.) I also have a couple of those 500w work lights that should heat it up good.

Thanks

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am one happy camper. The idea of the Binder clips worked great. I also used a little contact cement around the edges and a Disc heater to turn the interior into an oven. With all that said, the headliner is smooth and finished.

The whole interior is back together and looks better than it ever did.

Thanks for the help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.