Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I "tried" to install an OER repop rear headliner trim in my 68 Coupe but aside from not looking correct, the trim just does not fit. The curved part doesn't even come close to the actual curve of the window.

I posted a request to purchase an original (if anyone has one) and I've scoured eBay as well for an original, however, it seems like this is a hard piece to find.

My question is this - does anyone make a better quality repop of this part other than OER? Did I just get a bad piece or are these repops basically useless? Has anyone successfully installed one of the OER pieces?

Ok, that was a lot of questions, but I do appreciate any help that the group can provide.

Marc

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
I was able to get my OER installed, but not well.

Luckly I had the rear window out at the time and it still took me about an hour with a hair drier to heat up and bend the molding into a more correct shape.
I basically sat on the package tray heating and shoving/forcing the trim on.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'd suggest letting the trim lay on the hood of a car parked outside during the hottest part of the day for about three hours. Then while you've got it good and flexible, don't worry about making the "curved" part line up with the corners. Make it go where it needs to go. To protect your headliner from the black gunk holding in the window (which you're bound to touch with the trim) I'd put masking tape on the headliner at least a couple inches wide all around the rear window. Then after you've got the trim in place, just pull the tape off.

Good luck.

·
Registered
155 Posts
All of those repop trim pieces are all about the same,the other tip's are about the best way to get it installed.But you will end up using language that would make a truck turn red in the face.........

·
Registered
13,315 Posts
I do jusat about everything myself, panel, paint, mecanics, trim, carpets, electrical, seat covers etc
But when comes to the OER headliner I got a pro to install.

I removed the old orginal factory headliner LEAVING the rods in it....getting these in the right order is esentual.
Took him a little over 2 hrs, perfect job, and he did comment it was nice to have that much to trim off.

Intalling headliners nice requires someone who is exprianced in how materials behave when streched in different directions. I have seen it done, recon I could do it fine, if was to do it again I would still get a pro again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts