Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought my headrests were nearly perfect, until I really started looking at them. The bottoms are slightly flared, to the point that the vinyl ends on the underside do not stay under the plastic trim piece. This flaring causes the ends to push in, to the point that the trim piece is slightly longer than the headrest. In other words, the bottom needs to be squeezed in about 1/2".

Is there any way to do that? I was thinking of clamping the bottom in the right position. Cutting a piece of fiberglass cloth to fit, and epoxying it in.

Alternatively, I suppose I could leave it alone, and trim the plastic piece to fit.

·
11,659 Posts
Gary, I think the clamping and glueing idea would work. Give it a try and if it works I will try it on mine :D

Seriously, the glue and clamp does sound like a good idea. Don't cut anything, that's ireversable.

Found a neat plastic glue/filler process at Carlisle. It's a powder and liquid mix, really neat. When I get to the plastic parts, I'm going to give it a try.
http://www.urethanesupply.com/plastifixhowto.html

Let us no how you made out. Kevin

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hey Kevin I see in the picture of your disassembled camaro you have it supported by that wood frame. I was wondering if someting like that would hold a 69 coupe and is it safe enough to work on the underbody? Do you happen to have a blue print of that frame? Thanks for any help. I need to build something cheap I cant afford a rotisserie.

·
11,659 Posts
Gary, JB dries hard and does not stick well to vinyl, I don't recommend it. Some kind of vinyl bond or contact cement maybe?

KC, nope, no drawings, just made it up as I went along. Converts are heavier than coupes, so it would not be a prob. I kinda built it too strong. mostly 4x4 pressure treated landscape timber at Home Depot/Lowes with some scrap plywood and drywall screws and glue. get som good quality caster though. I got 1000 lbs each ones at Northern Supply. The larger ones will roll better, so get at least a 6 inch one.

Kevin

·
Registered
183 Posts
I use black urethane caulking, usually used as a windshield sealer, for glue on all kinds of interior items. It sticks really well to just about anything and once it dries, its flexible yet very very tough. Like silicon on steroids

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.