Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had recently put a descent rebuilt 350 in my '69. After about 8,000 miles, it started burning oil and severely fouling the plugs with carbon buildup. I burned 6 quarts of oil and two sets of plugs on a trip from Daytona Beach to Louisville, KY. The strangest but maybe the most reasonable answer I got from one mechanic was that because I had a Edelbrock carb (which he said was junk) it was pouring too much raw gas into the cylinders and washing the oil from the cylinder walls and rings. This kept the rings from seating and allowing oil blow by. The strangest part is there is no tail-pipe smoke at all! None blue or black! I had previously never heard of this. Does this make sense to anyone?

------------------
englemac
C-130Herc/69Camaro Driver

·
Gold Lifetime Member
10,484 Posts
Had this happen to a friend; used 2-3 quarts of oil on a 200 mile trip. He never saw any smoke either. Turned out his pcv valve was bad and under rpm with all the oil up in the valve covers and the high vacuum of cruising it was sucking the oil right through the pcv valve. He replaced the valve and it stopped immediately.

Might check it out.

Jody

1 - 2 of 2 Posts