Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents, I have a 69 SS 350 and I am in the process of installing a new exhaust system that came with the car when I bought it. Neither the Factory Assembly Instruction Manual nor the Chassis Service Manual shows a heat riser valve on the passenger side of the exhaust manifold. I have read elsewhere that it is required but I am doubtful. Is it required? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
It is not "required" - unless you live (and routinely drive) in a very cold climate area ...
They were installed on all standard Camaro's from the factory.
They are often removed by PO's, or even some shops, when doing exhaust work - specially if they have frozen-up or though not to be no longer needed for owners driving conditions.

As for it not being in the AIM - doesn't surprize me (although I can't remember ever looking for this item) at all - lots of routine items were part of sub-assemblies or procedures and are not included in the AIM.
The exhaust manifolds were installed at the engine final assembly plant (Flint or Tonawanda) - the Heat-Riser was installed by the Classis Line folks, as part of the exhaust assembly, prior to body-drop.
So the installation of this part was probably in their instruction information and not part of the AIM.

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
It's in the Assembly Manual, you just have to know where to look for it - see UPC 6, sheet C6, item #13 (and gasket #14). :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
yes, for orignality and yes, for where you live!!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Fraso,
what about the shields that go on the passanger side exhaust manifold, I have the one the pipe goes into but have not installed the long one. I guess I should install the long piece while I have everything apart?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts