Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of restoring my heater control unit. It needs the lens and the defrost lever arm replaced. Has anyone on here ever done this? If so, please help me. I don`t see anyway of doing this without causing damage to the unit because of it`s weak potmetal structure.

·
15,376 Posts
Mako,
Mine is in great physical (cosmetic) shape and cleaned up real nice. But as usual it's missing a knob. It's broken off. I looked at the thing real hard and I guess if I'm real careful I could try to replace it. But they're all over Ebay. I see them all the time with all three levers intact but needing cosmetic work. There was a post here a long time ago about this same thing and it made me decide to just replace the whole thing.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have e of these things. One though is in a box and I don`t know what shape it`s in other than the defrost lever is broke as is the other one and the other one I have is for my other 67 rs. I don`t know what kind of shape it`s in. That car is quietly awaiting restoration. I already have a new lever repair kit and new knobs, although the knobs on the unit are in excellent shape. The reprodution companies offer a new lens, so it`s obviously replaceable. I do not intend on buying another one of these.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I meant to say I have 3 of these things and not E of these things. Thanks for your help guys. I have already done a search and came up with nothing, so I guess I`ll have to go at this one on my own

·
Retired
26,948 Posts
I want to hear about the lever repair kit! The problem as I see it is the rivits and the rails on the back of the face plate. What ever replacement rivit can't be any thicker than the existing. Can you take any digital pic's? If you can I'll post them if you don't have a place for them...

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sure, I`ll send you some digital pictures of my unit and the repair kit. the repair kit has some screws in it that may replace that rivet. I`ll go do that now and email them to you

·
Registered
612 Posts
Dennis Could you post the Pic's he sends you ?, I have a Busted Lever in my 69 and wanna see if this is something that will work.

<edit> Forgot I recieved a Classic Industries Catalog on CD the other day and just happened to take a look at it after I posted this But they are Selling a Pre Assembled Reproduction Heater Control Assembly now ( their Part # is 356199 ). It is $135.95 That is With Or Without AC, Says it comes Complete Including Faceplate with Correct lettering.

1969 Heater Control Assembly:

A complete pre-assembled heater control assembly ready to install! These superb reproductions will replace any 1969 non-air conditioning heater control assembly and 1969 with air heater control for Camaro. The assembly can get your heater and air conditioning back to proper working order. Includes original style face plate with correct lettering.

[ 12-18-2003, 07:20 PM: Message edited by: Rsmith1969 ]

·
Registered
20 Posts
I completly rebulit my 67 control about 6 months ago. I am new to this form but think this could help.
I first had to fiqure out how to dissasmble the front face without braking it. since i was replacing the lense and one broken lever I fiqured if i tore it up i wasn't out much. I heated the pot metal that is bent over the bracket. I shilded as much of the control as i can with a piece of scrap havy gage sheetmetal so as not to burn or blister anything. I took my time and used a propane or Mappa torch set on low, i used a large screwdriver to put pressure on the pot metal clip. Once i had it apart i was able to buff the chrome and repaint the face i used semi-gloss black not sure if that is correct or not. Next i replaced the lever without any problems i think i had to tap and use a small screw but it has been to long ago. I reinstalled the lense and followed the same procedure of heating the pot metal clip to put it all back togeather. It turned out better than i ever thought it would. Maco if nothing else fix the 3 you have and sell them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
can anyone tell me where to go and see any pics of the air duct from the heater box to the defrost and vents on a 69 camaro.im missing some parts but dont know what.and also i cant figure out how to connect the fan control switch to the arm control.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.