Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just pulled the plug (so to speak) on the IROC TPI motor in my 68. Put an edelbrock 2101 and 600 carb on it. Tired of the MAF and computer crap that kept burning or resetting.

Anyway, is the heater hose bypass necessary when you don't use the heater core? The water pump and intake are both plugged, but it seems to me like you have to hook up that hose to avoid overheating?

-Jeff

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
I am assuming this is a Gen II SBC with reverse cooling? On the original SBC it was not needed. With reverse cooling you have to worry about internal leaks (water taking the course of least resistance and bypassing cooling requirements like part of the block or heads) so the heater hose path could potentially short circuit your motors cooling depending upon where it enters or leaves the motor.

When I first read this I thought you were talking about the bypass hose on the BBC which is not needed in Florida but is needed when it gets cold out side.

Larger Dave

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The codes say this motor is out of a 1985 IROC, and to be honest I thought the IROC's were roller cams (My 88 is) and this was regular flat tapet when we pulled the intake.

I didn't know if the bypass helped cool or was just someplace to cap the fittings when the heater isn't used.

BTW, I plan to use it again...after I replace the rusty leaky thing! All over my new carpet , too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts