Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, need suggestions. I have a 68 camaro with a small block heater core. I just changed out to a 383 and due to the roller rockers I need to run tall valve covers. Now the unfortunate part, the top outlet is touching the corner of the valve cover. Has anyone encountered this same issue. Is my core just screwed or are my valve covers especially tall?

I'm just thinking about trying to bend the outlet and pray. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
Do a search for pictures, as you can flip the heater core and cut new holes in the heater core cover. The hoses will then come out about 8 or 10 inches to the left of where they are now.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Looks like the core may have been repaired before and maybe straightened a bit. Good luck on the bending thing. Nice headers, what kind are they?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Nice headers, what kind are they?
They are Thorley 376-Y C's they fit really well and I can't complain except right now they touch the passenger floor board.

I heard this may be a problem, but I searched and someone loosened their engine mounts and rotated the engine for the clearance. It hardly touched and all I really need is a 1/4 of an inch for clearance.

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
I had a similar issue ..not valve covers ...
Do not even atempt to bend the tube in the car...garanteed 1 or 6 months later the heater will leak at the base of the tubes, and since they are bent u will most prob have to cut them to get the heater core out

Head off to the plumbing supply shop, they have 90 deg brass angle joiners that clamp up on a plastic ferrel
measure the min length to fit these from the fire wall
Remove the heater core, shorten the pipies
replace the heater core then fit the 90 deg adapters from the pumbing supply

1 - 8 of 8 Posts