Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my car back from paint shop, and finished putting the outside together. The inside is not put back together yet. I took it for a drive tonight and saw a big puddle of anti freeze on the garage floor. After further inspection I found the leaking is coming from the bottom right side of heater core on the engine compartment side. It does not appear to be a leaky hose. Is there a gasket in there that has gone bad or is it as simple as tighting the bolts? If something needs to be done I guess now is the time. My carpet, console and everything else is out of the car. I really don't want to take off my fender as I just got the car painted. Any help would be much apprecitated. Thanks. It's a 69...

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
It is either the core has a hole, which is pretty common, or the hoses. Try repositioning the hose and clamp and re-tighten it. Replace the clamp if it is bent and maybe trim the end of the hoses if they are stretched out.

·
Registered
13,315 Posts
The heater radiator comes out from inside the car....It is the fan that people have trouble needing to remove the fender...bit simplistic.
If the leak is out of the 'vent hole' in the engine compartment it sounds like, when it was put in one of the tubes for the hoses was kinked /moved slightly to line up with the holes /hoses on the engine compartment side.
Doing so usualy results in cracking the solder joint into the radiator headers.
Generally If the core leaks, it leaks onto the passengers floor.

So no need to pull the fender or rhe engine compartment cover....all done inside the cabin under the glove box....pull thr glove box, makes the job far easier
And not the way the flaps inside the heater box sit /open...
Get them wrong and some parts work others dont and get hot ot cold air where when dont want.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is no leaking into the car. I currently have everything out. There is no carpet, or anything. It's just metal in there. I will try to reposition the hose's but the leak looks like it is coming out from underneath the heater box cover on the engine compartment side. It was a puddle about the size of a soft ball. Would it be bigger, or more if it was a hole in the core?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Mine was leaking the same way so i replaced the heater core,tured out that the solder joint around the tube where the hose goes on was broken,i think i got lucky it leeked on the engine side,was not hard to replace, i did it all from the inside.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where is the best place to get a new heater core? Local auto parts store, should I buy a specific brand? Is there anything else that needs to be replaced while I have it out, and about how long does a job like that take? I've been kinda kicking around the thought of vintage air. I wonder if now is the time?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I got mine at autozone, i think they said it came from Mexico.There lots of good posts on this site that i used that are very helpful. The hardest part for me was getting the tubes through the fire wall,it is tricky but with one guy inside and one guy outside it will go. No need to take the fender off,all from under the dash, hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
6,100 Posts
If you can get at it easily now is definitely the time to replace it. After all, it's like 42-43 years old! I got mine from Autozone. The one listed for a 67 was incorrect but the one listed for a 68 was right for my 67.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I had to sweat the solder joints on new core barbs, as they were fragile out of the box.
Common problem with the cores, if you look at the barbs wrong, the solder breaks, but it is a simple fix; you just have the clean the barb areas really well.
Flux, solder, reinstall carefully.

·
Registered
13,315 Posts
The best heater radiators are from Rare Spares in Aussie for the HZ Holden...identical except the HZ has shorter pipes.....doesnt take much to unsolder those anf throw some heavier walled far more robust pipes in with far better solder joints.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yeah, heater cores can be a pain... I went through three of them while getting my car right. As mentioned, the solder where the bottom tube connects to the core is the normal culpret. They only put about 1mm worth of tube inside the core, which is terrible IMO. I would like to see a company make them where they screw in AND are soldered. Or, if it was just a rubber hose coming through there instead, it would be a lot easier.

You can get heater cores from National Parts Depot or your local parts store, but the NPD ones fit a little better in my opinion.

By the way, this is also a good time to get some insulation for the heater box, which you can also get from NPD.

·
Registered
1969 Camaro, 383 stroker w/T56 magnum
330 Posts
Just a thought...
Rather than getting a new heater core, just take the one you have to a radiator repair shop and have them fix it. A lot of the heater cores that come new have weak solder welds and you will have the same problem later down the road. If a radiator shop fixes your old one, you can have them solder the heck out of it and you wont have any problems again. Thats what I did and teh solder weld is 10x better then when I got it new.

Good luck whatever you do.

Matt

·
Registered
13,315 Posts
Just a thought...
Rather than getting a new heater core, just take the one you have to a radiator repair shop and have them fix it. A lot of the heater cores that come new have weak solder welds and you will have the same problem later down the road. If a radiator shop fixes your old one, you can have them solder the heck out of it and you wont have any problems again. Thats what I did and teh solder weld is 10x better then when I got it new.

Good luck whatever you do.

Matt
M8 that is the ONLY sensable thing to do....and if the radiator shop is any good they will drop in a couple new heavier walled tubes ...and ask to have the car so they can line them up correct thru the holes in the engine bay cover....and make them 1/2 " longer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts