Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm replacing a heater core for a 67 non AC small block. The core in the car was half an inch bigger than the one that I received from Classic Industries. I did read that the dimensions changed half way through 68. The bends in the tubes are slightly different. Is it advantageous to go with the bigger core? I'm not sure if the core that I pulled out is the original.

·
Registered
Al - Waterloo, Iowa
4,375 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,953 Posts
Unless you're doing a correct type OEM car, I'd do the big block modification since you have it all apart.
Looks way cleaner and the hoses don't interfere with the valve cover.

Attachments

·
Registered
912 Posts
Well bufford heres my two cents worth. The stuff they make today is all aluminum and its junk compared to the original unit. If you have a radiator repair shop in your area take it there. One have them boil it out two have it pressurized to find all the leaks and repair them .then ask them while they are at it to reenforce the water necks at the core with extra solder. You will get another 30 p[lus years out of that old g/m core. The general made good stuff back then and they will never again give out so much brass copper iron and steel at those prices again . Just another way to solve your problem. Hope it helps good luck .alex

·
Premium Member
6,566 Posts
I would see if you can get the original re-cored by a local radiator shop. A lot of the replacement cores are cheap Chinese crap that will end up leaking again down the road.
Just my opinion.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
I would see if you can get the original re-cored by a local radiator shop. A lot of the replacement cores are cheap Chinese crap that will end up leaking again down the road.
Just my opinion.
that is not an opinion THAT IS FACT :laugh:

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Also, if you have a core rebuilt, either have shop show you it's good with pressure test or test it yourself. I had one "refurbished" and decided to check before installing...glad I did, it leaked at the tube joint when I applied pressure. It has been awhile (a few years), believe I used 10 to 12psi to check but not sure. Reading online it seems the system runs around 14psi.

Would be a major bummer to reinstall then discover it leaks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts