Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody replaced a heater core before? I've got a 76' RS and was wondering how difficult it is to do it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Coastie,

This is a wonderful site, but it is geared primarily toward first gen Camaros. Granted, if anyone has any tips on other years, makes, etc. they will share.

If you are looking for specific info on changing the heater core, try www.nastyz28.com. It's a board like this one geared primarily toward 2nd gens.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Coastie,
Here's a link for doing a '67, it may help you. Once it loads, click on "How to pages".

"How to replace the Heater core in a 1967 Camaro R/S coupe without A/C."
http://www.67rs.com/macphreak4evr/

Robert.

------------------
68 Base Coupe, 327/210hp with TH400
99 Silverado

·
Registered
83 Posts
Lown...good on you for trying to help. BUT...as angie said in her post, there are SIGNIFICANT differences between the 2nd gen and 1st gen in this dept. It is considerably more difficult in the 2nd gen, especially if it's an AC car...about a 1-2 day job the first time!

Coastie...I know you already made it over to the 2nd gen site: do a search in the Troubleshooting & Diagnosis Topic...there's a couple of detailed step-by-step posts in there on this subject.

Angie-you wouldn't happen to the wife of one 57'Plymouth from the 2nd gen board would you??? You know...your mechanic?

------------------
1973 Type LT Camaro ...the daily driver

1968 2 door sport coupe...the toy!

1970 Chevelle SS396 (L34)...numbers matching, all original!

American Muscle Cars...as seen in Super Chevy Magazine, THE Camaro/Chevelle/El Camino we do other stuff too!) resto shop in SoCal

The Monday Nite Car Club!...our car club

[This message has been edited by 76Maro (edited 02-25-2002).]

·
Registered
176 Posts
I think that there is something going on between angie and 57 Plymouth.

------------------
Leo Paugh
MCC #017

If you have no fear, you're not going as fast as you could.

·
Registered
503 Posts
If the car has A/C: Remove infenderwell, remove/loosen center console, remove glove box and door. I beleave you also have to loosen the dash on camaros but not sure, Ive only done firebirds before but the camaro should be similar. Then remove the screws that hold the heater box in place. Plus dont forget to remove the heater hosed too.

If the car does not have A/C than your in luck. Just remove the heater hoses then remove the heater box.

------------------
70 Camaro 307cid(350soon) /350th ex. dark purple (dark blue soon) in. black
74 Trans Am 400cid/th400 ex. red in. red power windows

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I have done it a couple of times on my wife's 77 Type LT. 1st of all, allow yourself plenty of time ... There is no way to rush it ... 2nd of all, get a good quality heater core ... Look at any soldered connections ... Too much stress on these joints while you are installing it will create a leak also ... I am sure that is what happened to me because I paid a garage to do it the 1st time ( they kept the car 3 to 4 days ) , and it was leaking again within 13 months ... I got a 6 mo warranty from garage ... #@&* ... 2nd ime, I did it myself ... You have to disassemble dash underneath on passenger side ... start by removing glove box and all .. Plus I had to partially remove inner wheel fender on that side to more easily access hose connections and clamps ... At least it didn't have a heater control valve ... After installation, run car and check for leaks before you button it all back up ... For this job, access is the big hurdle ...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts