Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, my heater in my 84 cutlass doesnt work, i put the swith to medium and it goes full, high and it blows slower, and doesnt reallly push any air through, i checked for clogs, arent any. Does removing air conditioning affect heater? i left the air conditioning core in, but no hoses are hooked up. thanks

·
Registered
538 Posts
Back in '89 I had a '78 Cutlass that had the same problem. My buddy fixed the problem since he was having the same problem with his '83. All I can remember is that there was/is a wire that will short out near the alternator. I was 15 years old at the time and didn't pay any attention to what he did to fix it. Just know that it was fixed and that he then fixed several other cars with the same problem. Maybe this isn't what you are looking for but, pop the hood and have a look see.

------------------
1969, X-44, Export Model, Hugger Orange, Std. Int., BC Rear(soon to be a BT 12 bolt), PDB, GMPP 350HO, M22 Supercase, SSM Lift Bars, AirGap, Holley 750, FlowMaster American Thunder Exhaust, FlowTech Headers

·
Registered
523 Posts
No schematic but I'll pass out a couple of thoughts. May not be correct but at least I'll attempt it.
There are some vacuum actuators that control airflow under the dash. The one towards the center switches the airflow between the lower vents and the center dash vents. I think without vacuum applied air will normally come out through the lower vents and the defroster vents on top of the dash. In short, I think you should have airflow out the heater openings with vacuum. Airflow should only be controlled by the control cables.
It sounds like the switch is working. Otherwise the fan wouldn't change speeds as you select the different settings. Again no schematic but perhaps the problem is with the speed resistors. These are located under the hood next to the heater fan. It has a connector on it with I think four wires. A couple small screws hold it down. I think the relay directly below the resistors is part of the circuit. Not sure but you might want to look at that.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yep, havent found it yet, my neighbor said teh same thing too. He once had to jump some wire to get high speed to work, he cant remember how though, man never thought this was gonna be this hard.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts