Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone looked into the protective film from JC Whitney? It is a clear bug/chip shield which is applied directly to the paint.

JC Whitney Product Number: 12651G

I know, from doing a search, there are others out there that cost consideribly more but this one appears to be the same concept. I am wondering if it would be worth putting the clear on my 67 up front and in areas prone to bugs and rocks.

Also I have a black single stage paint job, are there any thoughts as to whether or not would this cause any issues with my paint?

It looks like it could be a very useful item... if it works and does not create more problems than it solves. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
292 Posts
I too have a black single stage paint job and plan on using a similar product down low. The type of paint you put this product over should have nothing to do with anything as long as it's good and dry. If the paint has been on the car over 3 months, you're golden there.

I plan on putting it on my lower rocker (the horizontal part) and then on the lower part of my rear quarters.

I would like to hear some feedback from others as well. Brian

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Brian, this is my first resto and I want to make sure I don't botch it up. I have never really dealt with single stage paint so I'm being overly cautious.

Are there any members who have actual experience using products like this that can chime in as well? Any installation tips/advice?

·
Registered
374 Posts
If left on long enough it will affect the paint some. I've been doing this daily for 20+ years and I've found if the vinyl has been on a long time you cannot completely get rid of the ghost in the paint. The vinyl protects the paint from the elements. Clear might be a little different but even clear vinyl has UV protecting properties, so there will still be some affect.
You just have to decide which is worse, a UV ghost left by the vinyl or rock chips left by no protection.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Thanks for the input. Is this stuff meant to be removable? Or I guess the actual question should be is it easily removed?
I'm not familiar with the product you are talking about, but I assume it applies and has a similar adhesive as pressure sensitive vinyl. If that's the case, yes it should be removable.

·
Premium Member
11,170 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.