Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to share an experience I had with Hedman regarding my coated headers. I bought the headers new about a year ago and they have developed some discoloration and rust pitting. this happened eventhough my car is far from complete and the only time on the motor is initial break-in, tuning time and some very short trips through the neighborhood. I called Hedman to explain what was going on and see what I could do. The first question I was asked was whether or not I used the headers during break-in. I told him I did and he said that is what caused the problem. Somehow, I managed to miss the warning to not use coated headers for engine break-in. To make a long story short, they offered to re-coat the headers for no charge (except shipping) because I was honest about my mistake and didn't try to BS them. It was a great experience with a happy outcome. Based on this, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend their products to anyone. Just thought I would pass along the info in case anyone else has a similar problem.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was told by Hedman that the cause is usually from a motor that is not properly tuned; either it is too lean or the timing too far retarded. Both cause abnormally high exhaust gas temperatures (the headers actualy will glow red) which changes the chemical/thermal properties of the coating.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I noticed the warning during installation and called Hedman. I told them that I didn't have a spare set of headers for the break in of my ZZ4 and was told to use two large fans on them during start up. I was also told that a new engine creates and burns off the gases hotter that a seasoned engine. I will try the fans but it’s good to know they will recoat if necessary.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I also have hedman headers and used mine for break in, I guess I should read that piece of paper that comes with stuff, I think it is called instructions, anyway, I guess I was lucky, but later, I am going to go over mine just to be sure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts