Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I attempted to install Hedman Headers #68600, shortie style. The headers fit except for interference with the clutch Z bar. The car is a 1st generation, small block, 4 speed, that is very original. The lower lever ( clutch fork attaches) hits the #5 cylinder pipe just before the collector. The car had long tube headers which worked fine, but were old and rusty. The Z bar is correct I matched it up with another car. Has anyone used these on a 1st generation small block 4 speed car with success.

[This message has been edited by shaugs (edited 10-10-2001).]

·
Registered
797 Posts
Shaugs,
The Hedman "shorties" are not manufactured to work with a manual trans car that has a Z bar. If you have a hydraulic clutch or auto-tranny they will work. If you bought them from a shop, they are supposed to tell you that at the time of purchase. If you are interested in a trade, I have a set of full length 1 3/4" X 3" Hooker (I think) headers that will fit your application. I currently have them in my 1969 Camaro with T56 Manual trans. When I used to have my M22 they cleared the Z bar and the power steering just fine. I did not have to bend any tubes to get them in. These headers are in great shape. My e-mail is [email protected] if you are interested. Otherwise, to solve your dilemma, you should look into returning the headers to the place you bought them. I do not believe that there are any shorty style headers (besides custom built ones) that will clear your Z bar. Good luck.

------------------
1969 Camaro SS 350-383ci./365HP, T-56, 12 bolt, Power Trax Locker, 3.73 gears, 4 whl disc, Deluxe black houndstooth interior, rear window defogger, tilt steering, floor console w/gauge package, center mntd. clock, tachometer

·
Registered
235 Posts
I had to replace my Hedman headers on my '69 Z28, because I couldn't get rid of a leak on the drivers side so Hedman sent me a new set. It hit the Z bar also, so I had to remove the motor mount bolt on the drivers side and jack the motor up until it cleared the Z bar. The other side was a piece of cake. It was worth the trouble because now I have no leaks and it sounds a lot better.
Donnie...'69 Fathom Green Z28.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts