Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone measure the size of an hei cap for me? I am trying to see if one will fit in my 69z28 before i buy one. I need to know the width at the top and bottom of cap as well as the height of the cap from distributor mounting surface. I am trying to replace small body msd. Thanks

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
This is from a brand new Summit billet HEI dizzy sitting on my workbench.

Bottom of cap width = 6.100", across opposing cap lock down hooks.
Top of cap = 6.375" includes the HEI wire connector (extends 1.025" from perimeter of cap edge)
Height from bottom of mounting base (where dizzy sits in engine) to top of cap = 7.500"
Fyi. The vacuum advance unit extends 2.750" off the body of the dizzy.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thankyou. Im torn between trying to fit an hei and having minimal firewall clearance and trying the dui small cap hei. unfortunatley no one has the dui that i know of.

·
Retired
26,695 Posts
There are several small body dist's available, I am very happy with the www.davessmallbodyheis.com that I have been running for years. You send him a points dist and he rebuilds it as an HEI with a curve designed for your combo and sends it back. MSD also makes an all electronic small body that you can dial in the curve with switches, it also has a supplemental electronic advance that replaces the vacuum advance... You have choices Dave!

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
My old motor already had an Accel HEI in it and the firewall had been dimpled so my direction with the new motor was easy. After talking to a few buddies I picked up one of Summit's blueprinted HEI's that are claimed to be good to over 8,000 rpm. I'll be happy if it works to 7-7,500 rpm range.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts