Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 69 Camaro 350, I am considering converting to HEI. This car is just going to be a cruiser. I don't need a high dollar drag racing setup or anything like that. My 55 Chevy has and HEI that looks like it came out of a stock GM car. My question is this, I see HEI distributors on Ebay complete for as little as $65, are they junk or should I buy a simple to install distributor at Oreilly or Autozone that will do what I need? Also, from the posts I have read, it sounds like all I need to do is pull the current distributor and coil, wire the one wire from the HEI to the resistor wire close to the plug on the firewall. Is that it except for timing and so on???

·
Registered
392 Posts
i would go the rebuit route ,less headaches down the road.raced circle track for years in super stock class .won 4 track championships on stock gm dist.hi dollar ones are usually hi maintenence for cruising,just my 2 Cents!!

·
Registered
537 Posts
Jegs sells HEI's brand new for $89.99! For a mild engine these work great. :thumbsup:

Remember, mild engines don't need trick parts!

As for the install, you are correct. Splice as close to the plug as possible with copper stranded wire. Nice and easy!

·
Registered
13,338 Posts
So many posts where about aftermarlet stuff, dizzys, radiators etc.
It was rare for some to say " use stock" or admit it lol
I have commented on this in a few threads now.
Glad to see u guys running stock stuff posting.
Some ppl have trouble getting the stock HEI to go in because of the firewall
I choped the back edge off the plate on the top that clips in the top of the plugs...its close enough to rub the paint off the firewall that a nice reshape with a mallet wouldnt fix lol.
How close is yours, guys?

·
19,895 Posts
I ran a stock HEI for years without issues, then it gave up on me. Now I'm running the $65 e-bay one without problems so far (knock wood).My HEI has about 3/16"-1/4" gap between it and the firewall.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Doug - Do you think the $65 unit is smaller in diameter and gives you some extra clearance compared to a stock HEI?

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
If your car was a 350 from the factory, you will have to "massage" the firewall ,to get a stock diameter HEI to fit. I would suggest to you, to buy http://www.davessmallbodyheis.com. The reason some fit and some don't is because of the frame/engine mounts are different.

·
19,895 Posts
No cap is about same size at bottom and middle, but the top at the coil is tighter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts