Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ,
Can anyone give me some advice with installing an HEI dist. in my 350 SS. The motor is a '70 LT-1. I'd like to remove the current "points" dist. Is there a certain year HEI I have to use or are they all pretty much alike ? Is there anything special I need to know about the installation ? Any help or info. would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
820 Posts
nothing really special about it, take 1 lead and run it to the wire that was the + side from the coil, it is a good resistant wire, (only on when key is) the other wire goes to the wire that went to the points. thats it... plop it in and go . you can pick up a chevy smallblock hei dist from allmost anywhere, and any of them will fit.. if you can find one with a "smaller" cap, like no supercoil, it will go right in.. dont listen to people telling horror stories of beating the firewall to $hit. it works just fine with no beating...

------------------
Chris's 67 RS/SS,can be seen at http://www.67rs.com
check out another site once in a while! http://www.fbodyconnection.com

·
Registered
871 Posts
You can also convert your points type distributor to electronic by installing a Pertronix unit. They are simple to install and work great for around $80.

------------------
Dave
'69 Z11 Pace Car, 350/4 speed, manual top, console w/gauges, tilt rosewood wheel, AM radio

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I like the Pertronix new single wire unit. Looks totaly stock and works well.

I have a Hays Stinger magnetic trigger setup in my old points style recurved distributor with a Crane Hi-6 C/D variable spark W/adjustable rev limiter ignition box. I mounted the box under the dash inside the car where the factory speaker and A/C duct would normaly come out. It is hidden and the speaker grill helps to air cool the unit. Lots of firepower, looks fairly stock, and low cost.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Porcam, The HEI distributor issue has been discussed here at length and of the 1969 Model year cars, the SS and the Z28 WERE the cars that have the HEI clearance problems.. So, unless the original frame stands and motor mounts have been changed out, chances are very likely that you will have clearance issues. Also, when switching to an HEI, do not use the factory resistance wire. You should only use the resistance wire as a relay trigger, or remove the resistance wire from the factory harness and replace it with a 12 gauge wire. Do a search on this subject and you will find plenty of reading material. If you decide to search just use HEI as your subject and make certain to search the "Engine & Drive train" forum. You will find many cases of people having clearance issues, and also the proper method of wiring the HEI. If you can't find what you are looking for, feel free to e-mail me. [email protected]. Good luck.

------------------
1969 Camaro SS 350-383ci./365HP, T-56, 12 bolt, Power Trax Locker, 3.73 gears, 4 whl disc, Deluxe black houndstooth interior, rear window defogger, tilt steering, floor console w/gauge package, center mntd. clock, tachometer

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
if you have 350/302 mounts, you will have to clearance the firewall a tad. if it has the 307/327 mounts, it will clear with about 1/2 inch clearance. the kicker is that if the HEI clears the firewall, headers will hit a power steering box, but if the firewall needs to be "modified", headers will clear everything. usually can't have it both ways.
for some reason, GM saw fit to make several different mount combinations for this car-probably just to move the engine back a little bit in the "performance" versions (Z/28, 350 SS) for better weight balance and/or clearance for a thicker radiator or something silly like that.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels. 12" Corvette brakes on the way.
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik

·
Registered
797 Posts
Novaderrik is right on the money!
I must really have an odd-ball car though, I had the SS350 mounts and had to bash the firewall for HEI clearance but my headers STILL hit the power steering box! Darn the luck!

------------------
1969 Camaro SS 350-383ci./365HP, T-56, 12 bolt, Power Trax Locker, 3.73 gears, 4 whl disc, Deluxe black houndstooth interior, rear window defogger, tilt steering, floor console w/gauge package, center mntd. clock, tachometer

·
Premium Member
2,756 Posts
Are these clearance issues also a problem in a 68 ragtop? I'm converting from 6 cyl to 350 and bought the standard SB frame brackets (p/n 3955183 & 3980938) but haven't put the motor in yet. I haven't bought distrubutor or headers yet and I do have PS.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
winch, my first 68 i did the same as you, 6 to 350, i dont know which motor mount towers, got them out of a nova donor car, and my HEI fit, tight but no bangin',my current 68 rs(p.s.), w/ orig 327 mounts fit no problem, same as my first one, so as far as 68, it doesnt appear to be a big deal.maybe w/ factory 350 or z/28 mounts, but have not dealt w/ that yet.

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
I have an originally LM-1 car with a now 327 and Energy Suspension MOTOR mounts. I did dent the firewall for my HEI and my Hooker Super Comps fit perfectly.

------------------
69 Camaro Z28 "clone" - 327 AT
"461" camel back heads,
edelbrock, hooker, ultradyne,
TRW etc.
700R4 TPI transmission

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.