Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend a reliable HEI distributer with an external coil that is good to 6000 RPM for a bigblock?

·
Registered
7,192 Posts
Summit sells a kit I think it's from MSD that converts an internal coil HEi to external. I don't know if this is what you might be looking for? I can't remember how much it cost though. www.summitracing.com

Took me a few tries to get that link to work!

[This message has been edited by Joe Harrison (edited 01-03-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Joe Harrison (edited 01-03-2001).]

·
10,164 Posts
Why buy a HEI and then take the coil out of it?
Why not buy an electronic small body distributor?
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Can Am Vintage Racer

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yes I agree with David.I have said this before here, and going to do it again:Why fix something wich isnt broken???

I have dyned 610HP at 7000 RPM in my bigblock with Performance distributors Racing HEI and trust me it was a long session
and Distributor/or internal coil never faild. If space is your concern ,external coil wont help you in a largebody Hei.

Joni

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The coil gets hot and shortens the life of the system when its enclosed together. I want to stay with HEI because I have a newer motor and it's easier to deal with.
Dan

·
Registered
144 Posts
Just my opinion but...there's an awful lot of people making a decent living selling parts that aren't REEEEALY needed but just look cool or someone saw it the pits on a Pro Stocker or something. Hey, I'm a devout capitalist, and everyone's free to spend their money on whatever they percieve a need for.
Not that I think GM is ALWAYS right, but they were never in the business of deliberatly building unreliable cars and went/go through GOBS of money to R & D the most reliable parts possible (admittedly for the cheapest price) so as not to get a reputation for building LEMONS. I have a hard time believing that relocating the coil off of the HEI cap makes any significant difference in longevity or performance of the system. If it did I suspect it would have been built that way in the first place. Again...Just my opinion.

------------------
'69 Garnet Red Convertible, Ivory over black, 350 w/turbo 400

·
Registered
1 Posts
GM changed the HEI to an external coil in the late 80's. Its basicly the same as the old HEI, just moved the coil out on the firewall.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is why I love this site. I could never get this kind of discussion going at work! Thanks for all the info. I learn something new here everyday.
Dan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts