Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody had trouble making an HEI distributor fit in the engine compartment. I haven't started putting it in yet, but it's twice the size of the old distributor which is tight as it is! It's a Proform Dist. Any suggestions???? By the way, my car is a 69 RS with a 350. Thanks.

------------------

·
Registered
175 Posts
Have heard different variatiions. Some people fit the HEI with no problems others need to slightly dimple
the fire wall. I had to dimple the fire wall to fit mine, I also put a 1/2" spacer under the tranny mount.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
3,360 Posts
Mine barely fits (standard HEI). I'd give it try before working on the firewall. It will probably depend on where the hold down screws on the cap wind up being positioned when you set the timing.

[This message has been edited by rojo (edited 12-06-2000).]

·
Registered
144 Posts
Mine fits too. But it's tight. Go ahead and try to slide it in without the cap on, then put on the cap and check for clearance.

------------------
'69 Garnet Red Convertible, Ivory over black, 350 w/turbo 400

·
Registered
101 Posts
I had to persuade my firewall to take it also, a lot. If I had it to do over again I would go with Dave's smallbody.

------------------
69 Glacier Blue Camaro w/1977 350
Shift kit, B&M Megashifter, HEI, Edelbrock 600, 10 bolt 3.08, flowmaster delta flow mufflers
http://msnhomepages.talkcity.com/rallyrd/murfys_law

J

·
0 Posts
Does anyone have contact Information for Ignitionman? I would like to discuss ordering one of his small body HEI's. I haven't seen his posts in a while.

------------------
J. Garcia
1967 Camaro RS
Factory A/C, Pwr Front Disc Brakes

J

·
0 Posts
Thank you DjD!!!

------------------
J. Garcia
1967 Camaro RS
Factory A/C, Pwr Front Disc Brakes