Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help needed! I keep blowing ignition coils and sometimes even the control module every 800 to 1000 miles. I can tell its going out when the car is harder to start. 350 engine don't know distributor type :confused:except HEI. I have installed new #10 wire to distributor, have checked grounds, both bonding strap and bonding ground wire is attached at coil any suggestions gladly appreciated. I just changed coil and module today so we could go for a ride Thanks

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well my old g/f's son had a Caddy that had a simular problem, I swapped everything and it kept happening so I changed the distributor itself and problem was solved.

·
3,386 Posts
Jeff,
When you take the coil cover off, there should be a brass ground strap attached to one screw that goes to the plug on the side of the distributor cap ? If that is missing it will cause the problems you are having. Here is what it looks like:

·
3,386 Posts
Jeff,
Make sure there is a good ground wire from the engine to the frame or neg battery ? Other than that, are you using AC Delco parts or aftermarket ? I wont use anything but AC Delco ignition parts on a GM application.

·
Super Moderator
32,437 Posts
As BillK suggests, the module and coil should be of the same brand, the parts are matched for each other.

Most aftermarket coils have a lower impedance and draw more current than the designed 5 amps of OE module, hence the module overheats and dies.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info I will try it and hopefully I won't be posting in 1000 miles with the same problem Thanks again

1 - 7 of 7 Posts