Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed a Summit HEI dist. and instead of advancing when I rev it it retards also when I hook up the vacumm adv it does the same. It also will not run or even start With 10deg. initial timming, it does run whoever at about 40deg initial but than retards when I rev it, help Im about to go back to my points setup which ran fine before this HEI debogle

·
Retired
26,659 Posts
Clash - I don't know how much you know so don't flame me for this reply... Top Dead Center (TDC) is 0 (zero) degs advance. Advancing your timing is firing Before (BTDC) and retarded would be After (ATDC). If this were a number line 0 would be in the middle and to the left of 0 would be negative numbers (advanced timing) and to the right would be positive number (retarded timing).

I can't imagine your mechanical advance moving the opposite way inside the dist and retarding when you rev it...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dennis, neither can I but when I rev it instead of the mark advancing it moves towards 0 and yes I am mechanically inclined, and this is one that has me baffled

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the original balancer with a proform balancer cover on it that has full degree markings on it, everthing was fine with my points dist had about 12deg int. and about 36deg full now that I replaced with the HEI this happens.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Take the dist cap and rotor off.Put your hand over the dist shaft and turn the shaft to the right or left.The mechanical adv.will go out when your turn to the right and not to the left.One more thing GM made two types of pickup coils one for right turn eng. and one for left,and one for front mount dist.which is is the same as the left turn eng.Maybe they send you the wrong dist.
Just my 2 sents.Mr. :cool: Nick

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys for the replies, boxed it up, and sending it back, will go a different route

1 - 7 of 7 Posts